Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Heli-boarding - Snowwater
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Keep in mind I have only been heli skiing for one day but I am used to skiing in pow and in western Canada.

1 - If you can ride pow on a blue run you will be fine. There will be options to go steeper but you will pick it up quick. IMO it hard to ride ICE than deep pow.
2 - Don't know about the company sorry.
3 - When I went I rode my NS titan 160. It was fine. Just set your bindings one back from where you would normally have them. I have ridden plenty of deep pow on my 155 Evo with my bindings centred. You will be fine. Most companies usually have a Burton Fish or something powdery that you can rent if you are worried.
4 - I would not worry about the pants thing. You might get a bit of snow up your back but it will keep you cool!
5 - I have loads of stuff with my gopro. IMO the stuff that works best if the one on the end of a collapsible ski pole. You will have a back pack on as your avi shovel will be in there. So get one of these and a helmet mount and mix it up. Just don't do it on every run otherwise you will focus on that and not on the awesomeness!
6 -You will be doing less runs than normal but you will be working harder. I knew a guy who worked for a heli company and he said this is the most important factor. You want to make sure your legs can handle it. As I said above you will get the pow part in no time but if you are unfit your body will end your trip before you ability does. Start hitting the gym!
7 - Your mate is correct. They will give you the training you need. It doesn't hurt to do a bit before you go out there. I think snowolf has some sticky threads in the Back country section about web based avi training.

Do you realize that you will be ruined for all resort riding after this!
So many runs so little time.
roremc is offline   Reply With Quote