Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Official Michigan Winter Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #2208 (permalink)
david_z
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIn248 View Post
I've also been in a special kids mini-pipe, which I found impossible to actually do anything in. (Crested Butte -- the choices were kids' pipe with maybe 5-6-foot walls vs. super pipe with 22-foot walls)\
Yeah the problem with most minis is that they're under vert so it's hard to really do much on them. Treetops has a ditch which rides like a 1993 "halfpipe" it's a lot of fun but you can barely do flyouts it's that small and under-vert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIn248 View Post
Does Nubs Nob still do a pipe? I know I rode one there a few times when it was over on that separate spot with the rope tow, which is now set up for racing. But then they moved it. Last season I don't remember seeing one, but I think it was early in the season when I was there.
I think the last time they built that pipe was 3 years ago. They've put a lot more emphasis on skate-style features in the past few years instead of trying to build massive kickers and pipes that barely anyone rides. Halfpipes in particular are hella expensive to build and maintain, plus, half the time, they don't even get enough snow to build one, so investing in a good pipe cutter is just a waste of money which I think is a big reason why most of the resorts around here no longer do them.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 42

Mt. Brighton - 13
Mt. Holly - 5
Hawk Island - 3
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1