Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Did I screw up on multiple issues for this board/bindings/boots combo?

5K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  snowklinger 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm starting to get stressed out the more I read up on snowboarding gear. :confused:

I have recently bought my own board/bindings/boots after consulting websites, reviews and whatnot with the purpose of buying stuff for beginners.

I'm 163lbs (74 kg) and 5ft6.14in (168cm). I'm all-mountain style I think? Because that's what some sites told me to go for since I'm a beginner.

My Gear:
Board: Burton Blunt (151cm)
Bindings: Ride LX Series (M)
Boots : Ride Jackson Boa Coiler (Size US 9)

I just read up on 3 things that worry me. 1st, My boots and bindings are all-mountain boots while my board is freestyle. Is that going to affect me a lot?

2nd, I don't understand flex rating. My board and bindings are flex of 3, so that's soft? My boots have a flex of 7, so that's stiff? I read a comment in this forum that say I should try to match my gear flex so that they are around the same. So did I screw up badly?

3rd, I used my chin height to get my board length. But from what I read on this forum, I should use weight instead. Is 151 cm too short?

See less See more
#2 ·
dont sweat it you'll be fine.

My middle boy has a 2010 Blunt what I didn't like about it was it's durability. That thing looks like it was chewed up and spit out. He rides exact same places and park features as me and the other boy and it didn't hold up well. Plan to wax it a lot though.

Being new I doubt you will notice anything with boots or binding. You may notice the flex and especially at higher speeds, if you get to that point in your riding.

#3 ·
i hate to break it to you, but 151 is too short for your weight. you should be at at least 154. 156 would have been your best bet. UNLESS you plan to only run in the park and jibb.

then again considering your length it probably won't be as big a problem aa for someone with your weight and 5'11 (178cm)+. but length plays a very minimal role.

i wanted to be as nice as possible about this, but it will help you more if i'm honest.

:/

hope you can sort it out!

#5 ·
Ok, I understand. I'm didn't managed to screw myself up, I think. Flex is not an issue for a beginner like me.

Board length 151cm is fine for me to train on, but I should get a longer board in 1 to 2 years time. 154cm - 156cm would be the correct length.

Also, I should start hitting the running tracks to reduce weight.

Nobody said anything about the boots/bindings/board being different style, so I guess it's a non-issue.

Thanks for the help!

#6 ·
if your just learning, anything is fine really. when your new, how well you board is more determined by your skill level than your equipment. when you start jumping around a lot and hitting mach speeds is when youll notice the differences gear can make.

the board is definitely on the short side, but that can help novices in that it will be noticeably more manuverable. the flex ratings won;t make much difference yet.

also keep in mind that flex ratings are subjectively set by each company. one company's 5 might equal another company's 7.

#7 ·
Thanks for telling me that pharcyde. You are right. I'm new so anything is fine as long as I don't make mistakes like getting advanced boards and stuff not suited for a beginner to learn on.

I will read up and watch more videos until I can finally get to the Korean slopes in January. :laugh:

#8 ·
Don't sweat it one bit, you are just fine. Even with experience, getting the gear that is just right for you takes time and failures.

For a beginner, all that shit is irrelevant, just go out there and have some fun!

You may find you like a longer board later, don't even trip on that board length it's fine.

#35 ·
^^^this

specially if you are learning. Im 6'1 and my first board was an 164. I wish i started with something shorter, but as that post says you wouldnt understand if you are in the process of learning. Once you want something specific start doing your research for the riding style you like or planning to do.

#21 ·
Anyone who's not butt hurt like the guy a few posts above knows 151 is too short for 75 kg's unless it's strictly for jibbing.
Why? I'm a total n00b and I can tell you are full of shit. What fucking difference is it going to make to this guy on a blue or green groomer that his board is 3 fucking cms shorter than you think it should be?

That's what I thought, now shut the fuck up... :cheeky4:

(So Donuts, am I getting any closer on my Shred homage?)

#23 · (Edited)
Again, why? Explain yourself... It sure as fuck isn't cuz he's going to be hard carving and washing out. He's never ridden before. It's not cuz he's going to sink it in the steep'n deep. So, why exactly does the extra 3 - 5 cm matter?

As has already been pointed out, it will be easier for him to learn on, especially in relation to turn initiation. So again, based on all your experience why?

Exactly, now like I said "shut the fuck up!". :D

#24 ·
And you're telling me I'm full of shit?

You don't know why 151 vs 156-159 makes a difference for a 75kg all mountain rider? Do I need to say any more? Sure, it's 10% board, and 90% skill, but you're still the one who's full of shit here.

Keep using personal attacks to convince yourself that you're the one who's right.

#25 ·
Oh, so if I don't know you can't tell me?... You're a fucking retard. You have nothing to add to this discussion. So for a 3rd and hopefully (but I really doubt it) final time "shut the fuck up!".

Either explain your reasoning or fuck off. That simple really. I know you can't and you will be ripped to shreds for trying, but I kinda want to see that, so go for it. :cheeky4:

#34 ·
Ah, to be honest, no. :eek:

Well, multiple people with different opinions, I guess. It's educational for me to read up as I can get a feel on how people see these questions from different aspects. It gives me something to consider and broaden my views on these topics.

I am thankful for all the help. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.