Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Who Started Riding @ 50+ and Why?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
KIRKRIDER
Veteran Member

47 Tuesday!

Skied a lot as a kid. In Italy and in Austria. Beautiful. Then I lost interest. Tried a board in 99 for the first time, was a lot of fun. Another long pause. We moved to California,, the kids...but 8 years ago we started taking the kids on the slopes, instead of renting skis I rented a board and started to learn on my own.

5th year season pass to Kirkwood...best season was 40 days. Worst was last one..just 11.

can't wait to rip my new Hovercraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
Ok, let's find out about those of us who saw the light at 50 or over. To get the ball rolling, I'll start.

Like most, did some skiing. Never got comfortable on the double planks. Always feared them crossing up and we all know what comes next.

One year, on the cusp on my 50th I go with my wife and her school Extended French class to St. Donat (north of Montreal ) for a cultural experience. Skiing / Riding is part of the deal.

I am skiing on this trip, but as I am riding the lift, I am watching the kids riding boards and I say to a fellow supervisor, "Those kids body language is telling me that they are not working nearly as hard as I am skiing. They look so relaxed".

At that moment I made the decision that when I came back the next year, I was going to learn to ride.

The following year I did just that. Went back to St. Donat on the school trip, rented a board, signed up for lessons, went straight to the bunny hill with the kids. For those of us at this point in life, it is the only way to learn to ride.

Three years later I am riding 25+ days a season and wondering what the hell took me so long to see the light.

I love the fact that it is so much easier on your body to ride vs. skiing. My feet are always warm, they never hurt me and my knees are so much happier. I only have one edge to worry about, the two never cross and if you ride any degree of rocker on your deck, hooking an edge is a rare event.

What's your story?
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06

Last edited by KIRKRIDER; 11-15-2012 at 05:49 PM.
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote