Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Well then
Thread: Well then
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
alaric
Banned Bananas [national phenomenon]

Default Well then

So today while I was driving home from a friends house I saw this man, alone, in his wheelchair. He had multiple tubes and things coming out from his body. His legs and arms were locked down in his chair, leaving his hands just enough room to move his joystick to use his chair. He was trying to cross the street when it was his turn, but unfortunately he was having trouble getting down the curb. I jumped out of my car and tried to help the guy; I wasn't going to just sit there and watch. I was having trouble so I yelled to the other cars if I could get some help. Most of them ignored me or turned their music up. One guy even yelled "The cripple doesn't need your help! Get back in your fucking car!" Needless to say, I got pretty pissed. After about a minute of blocking the intersection and helping this guy I finally got him moving again. He thanked me then was on his way.

Now here's my question. Why the FUCK do people treat others as lesser beings? This guy is human. Sadly something has happened and now he's in a wheelchair. Help him out! Don't downgrade him and make him feel like shit. You have your ability to walk and use your arms and legs. You can hug your friends and play ball with your son. You can dance and you can sing. You should be thankful for that. This guy can't. But he's still human and deserves to be treated like all of us. He's deserving of respect.

Also, I got bitched at for trying to help this guy out? What, and why?? I try to be a decent person and get bitched at for it. The asshole screaming shit at me probably is too embarrassed to be seen helping others. He and his friends probably shoot up the block every night, and if he's seen helping someone his friends will think lesser of him. If he had balls he would have helped this guy.

I'm sorry, rant done. I just had to get that out there.

alaric is offline   Reply With Quote