Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Who Started Riding @ 50+ and Why?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
chomps1211
Not quite reformed yet

Went skiing for the first time in 1978 with my high school's ski club! I sucked sooo bad I got kicked off the hill! Never tried it again.

The Marines put me on cross country ski's once while @ Bridgeport, CA. for moutain warfare, cold weather training! (...I was a Navy Medic, '79 to '83!) I couldn't stay "upright" long enough to even get a picture of me standing in them. That was the last time I strapped into ski's!

Feb 2011, two months after my 50th. Discover Mich. & a bunch of the local hills had their late season Special Intro Offer. A Lift ticket, board rental, and lesson for $40! I always wanted to try snowboarding. It looked cool, It also looked to me like a more "natural" stance for sliding down a mountain!!

I figured, for $40? What the hell!! I'll risk a hip! I took to it right away! (wasn't great right off or anything, but I didn't TOTALLY suck!!!) I bought a board and boots after my second day out & I got 20+ days between that Feb and april!! Including 3-4 trips to Boyne and 1 to Cab!!!!

Last year, 2011/12. I lost count after about 28-30 days It was my first full (crappy) season! (...don't think I broke 40! I hope too this year!) When I can manage it financially,.. I will probably relocate back to the West Coast! Or maybe somewhere in the Rockies, who knows!

I've posted this before, but snowboarding???
...IS THE MOST FUN I'VE EVER HAD WITH MY CLOTHES ON!!!!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote