Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Should I get a different board?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  phony_stark 
#1 ·
Hi, Im about 165lbs, 5'11", and my board is a 2009 Ride Crush (158W). Im curious to see if this is a good powder board or if I should look for another board to ride the powder in Montana. Im looking at a 2012 Ride highlife. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!

#4 ·
I'm slightly bigger at 6'1" and 175 lbs and ride a 154 for hardpack only days and a 163 for everything else (I like being used to my big board when it dumps huge). The 154 is skatey fun, but I wouldn't want to be stuck with it in anything over a foot deep.

The 163 handles up to about chest deep pow, but I can still spin 360s and other tricks on it....point is, it's more rider skill/experience than board.

I also wear a size 11 shoe without riding a wide board, so unless you wear a 12+, you probably don't need the extra waist width.

#9 ·
On a board that has no taper or some kinda weird pow shape, you're gonna get leg burn no matter what, setting your bindings back helps a lot were you centered?

If you also set the bindings back, I say get a p0w board. I bought a charlie slasher last year and it was life changing. You spend more time riding the board than worrying about keeping your nose up. Price is right too $399

For the record, I am by NO MEANS an expert powder rider, I've only had 8 days total riding the fresh and deep. The last two days on Charlie were magical.

#10 ·
This is generally going to be true of most twinish center stance boards. I'm told there are exceptions... but most of those are powder specific twin board... which for you case it pretty much that same as dedicated powder board in that you would have to buy another board.

Setting your stance back a notch or two is really going to help (but you are still going to get some leg burn). Try sportslegs.

#12 ·
Where are you riding in montana. I'm in bozeman mainly riding/hiking bridger. Montana has great freeriding but isn't the pow meca like the nw, tahoe, lcc, jackson... a freeride board with a powder shape is ideal.

K2 peacekeeper
Ride Highlife or bezercer
Lib lanina gnu billygoat
Neversummer cobra or raptor
Jones flagship
Most of the venture boards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.