Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - skinny stances
Thread: skinny stances
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
Im just looking for clarification on the skinny stance craze right now. I understand you can spin faster, but you lose a lot of stability with a skinny stance correct? Is this just a park rat type of thing or are there other benefits across the mountain? FWIW I've never tried it
There is a skinny stance craze going on now? Sweet I'm back in style

I've been riding 20.5"-21" stances as that the widest I can go without serious ankle/knee/hip pain (tried mutiple canted bindings). I'm guessing it is because I have narrow hips (30" waist) and short legs (30" inseam even though I'm 5'9") and because my ankles are messed up from too many ankle sprains... .

Narrow stances are noticeably little less stable, but it's not a make or break difference. I have landed (and rode away) 10 ft drops to flat and 65+ ft kickers with my skinny 20.5" stance Although I haven't done a kicker more than 45-50 ft in years (I pretty much always skip the last jump or two in the Northstar Pro Jump Line) as the penalty for failure is too much for my aging body.

It is a bit harder to press a board though (hence why I was trying to go with 22" stance, but my joint won't let me do that for long).

There is some benefit in free-riding/boardercross/racing as you can turn power the board more. When you see the guys in boardcross, they have slightly narrowed, forward angle stances... but you can see they looking a little less stable, but they are still hitting some decently large jumps.

I've not heard it being done by park rats though... last I checked they were still doing ridiculously wide 24-25" stances which is fan for a giant like Andreas Wiig, less so if you are like a 5'6" kid.

Last edited by lonerider; 11-16-2012 at 05:14 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote