Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - skinny stances
Thread: skinny stances
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
bseracka
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
There is a skinny stance craze going on now? Sweet I'm back in style

I've been riding 20.5"-21" stances as that the widest I can go without serious ankle/knee/hip pain (tried mutiple canted bindings). I'm guessing it is because I have narrow hips (30" waist) and short legs (30" inseam even though I'm 5'9") and because my ankles are messed up from too many ankle sprains... .

Narrow stances are noticeably little less stable, but not huge (I still have landed 65+ ft jumps with my skinny 20.5" stance).

It is a bit harder to press a board though (hence why I was trying to go with 22" stance, but my joint won't let me do that for long).

There is some benefit in free-riding/boardercross/racing as you can turn power the board more. When you see the guys in boardcross, they have slightly narrowed, forward angle stances... but you can see they looking a little less stable, but they are still hitting some decently large jumps.

I've not heard it being done by park rats though... last I checked they were still doing ridiculously wide 24-25" stances which is fan for a giant like Andreas Wiig, less so if you are like a 5'6" kid.
Lone- your stance for your height really isn't skinny. I'm one inch taller and and 1.5" wider. Skinny is when your 6' and rocking a 20" stance.

J.Gnar- yep he's got a skinny stance and looks way less fluid than someone like JJ and Trice so... Since he's a pro I would expect him to have a lot of style when he rides, doesn't mean I'm going to try and emulate his stance, binding angles, or gear thinking I can ride the same way. Likely he rides what's comfortable for him, which is different than the jib kids forcing a uber narrow stance for an extra rotation.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote