Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Raiden Phantoms cracked

6K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Justin 
#1 ·
Had a nice spill on friday and just was adjusting my bindings to discover that i cracked the base plate through. Only my second day on them.

Should i call the shop i ordered them from or should i contact raiden?

#5 ·
Don't know if it's too late now, but get your money back and buy another pair from a more durable brand such as Burton or Union.
Personally, I would not use binding that have airbags for baseplate dampeners in the first place, because airbages usually "bust out" and if they don't, they're still likely to do so. I know that's not your problem, but I'm just saying that it's more potential for breakage if you do get another pair of Raiden bindings.
(I quoted "bust out" because Raiden actually stated, in a Transworld Gear Guide I think, that the more common EVA padding busts out and air bags don't do that. Seriously? How stupid do they think we are?):laugh:

#6 ·
I doubt that it will be an option. Thanks though.

I was thinking of trying union but with all that has been happening on here lately i think i will probably avoid them.

I only got 2 days on the phantoms so far but i liked the airbags. The wipe i had was pretty awesome and i had a hard time walking for a couple days, i think i sprained my knee pretty bad LOL, oh well, another few days and i will be healed up.

#8 ·
more durable brand... ehh...

i think were seeing one of those perfect situation accidents. ive delt with nitro fro a while now... and air bag "bust outs" or base plate cracks. ive never seen.

You handled things right... The shop should have your back and push the issue right through... nitro is a pretty rad group of dudes.

#14 ·
Some rep from the company has just been causing a bunch of bad blood. Its in another thread. Just a bad representaion for the company IMO. If they made the only good bindings i would probably still buy them but there are enough other good choices.

#15 ·
Are you refering to Union or Raiden? If you are talking about Union, being an owner of Union bindings, I know what you mean. Union always seems to have this "we don't give a crap" attitude.
First I saw Union's How to Set Up Your Union Bindings videoo on YouTube, and the Union guy was just being an absolute douche. He had a sort of 'shut up, Union is the only good binding brand you idiot' tone and just gave me bad vibes. He actually reminded me of a highschool bully :thumbsdown:
Second thing is on their site, it says "everything in-house... with no outsourcing". I get the box... big black bold text reads: DESIGNED IN ITALY. MADE IN CHINA. Yeah, no outsourcing my a**!:thumbsdown:
I then try contacting them on their site but when I click 'send' a box appears that says something like "We don't like robots. Fill out the verification box." But of course there's no freaking image with the verification text!:thumbsdown:
Sure- my Union bindings perform flawlessly, look cool, haven't had any problems and should last a lifetime. But honestly I'd feel happier with bindings with a 1 year warranty, knowing that the guys who made them are NICE, HAPPY, SOCIAL people who respect their customers more than, well, their bindings! (what else?):laugh:
Oh well, I'm happy with mine anyway. As long as they really don't break, they're still awesome.

#29 ·
Just to clear things up... We have 3 offices: Colico Italy, Seattle Wa, and Shenzhen China.

Italy is design, engineering, and production.
USA is marketing and graphic design.
China is production, assembly and packaging.

There is zero outsourcing. It's nice and happy around here too man. Maybe a little too much:D

#33 · (Edited)
Just to clear things up... We have 3 offices: Colico Italy, Seattle Wa, and Shenzhen China.

Italy is design, engineering, and production.
USA is marketing and graphic design.
China is production, assembly and packaging.

There is zero outsourcing. It's nice and happy around here too man. Maybe a little too much:D
Sorry but that is still outsourcing. The company was founded and is operated in Seattle, WA, and relying on other countries to provide a means of production is still "outsourcing" by definition.
Anyway, how do I, and other users here know if your legit? -There was apparently an incident involving a C3 representative, who promoted contest awarding whoever "hijacks" the most forums here with a pair of Union bindings.:dunno: I'm not sure exactly what happened, but if you search it you can find it quite easily.

#17 ·
I like my raidens (very limited experience) and im sure it was a pretty spectacular wipeout that caused the break. I tend to destroy equimpent pretty quick. Last year i wrecked, a board, boots, binding, 2 pairs of gloves, a jacket, pants. Even people that don't love union seem to think they last a long time so it is something that will come into consideration.

Maybe some day i will try union. Seems like a lot of ppl really like them but im getting old and don't care about being core. I was really considering bringing in my boots to see how the toe strap would fit but whatever. Im sure in the next year or two all the bs will die down and all the sane people that ride them will make me consider them again.

#20 ·
The gf has a pair of raiden machine bindings she's giving me for xmas she doesn't think I know about. I have zero concern about their durability; why, because raiden/nitro has been doing it right for a long time and they stand behind their products. Does history mean shit can't happen, nope and that's why I have back up bindings and a warranty.

#22 ·
Just took my Machines out for a rip last weekend - very impressed with their performance so far, I'm sure you'll enjoy! They seem very well built and I have zero concerns about the airbags popping. They're in a thick casing that short of sticking a nail into it isn't likely to break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.