Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - NS board opposite of the Skate Banana
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #30 (permalink)
hktrdr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
So I've only ridden a 2009-2010 Skate Banana... and I'm guessing on the Cobra feel base on my expriences with the SL and read about the Cobra.

Skate Banana is roughly a 2 or 3 on stiffness and dampness. A Cobra is like a 5 out of 10 on both stiffness and dampness.

The Skate Banana is a true twin, where as the Cobra nose and tail are design to give you more float in powder and also more effective edge to allow more control at higher speeds.

The Skate Banana is flat-rocker-flat (Bananatech) which is very extreme variant of rocker and will make the board feel very boaty (like the board can pivot really easily without touching the edges). The Cobra is camber-rocker-camber so it will have less of the pivoty feeling and behave more like a cambered board once you get it up on edge (more control). In my opinion/experience, the mini-cambered sections will definitely give the Cobra more pop for jumps and turns.

The softer/rockered Skate Banana is easier to press and boardslide on a rail/box with (less likely to catch an edge on a rail too).

The Skate Banana has Magnatraction which you must have notices bites into the snow very early once you've engaged the edge. The Cobra will have a much more gradual bite feel (but I bet it will have greater overall edge hold as it is not as soft, more damp, and has a longer effective edge).
Actually the difference in stiffness is not nearly that much. The Skate Banana is closer to 4 overall - it is not nearly the noodle it is often made out to be. Rather the issue is that the tip and tail can flap because they are not stiffened/reinforced.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote