Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Baker Opening...Wed 21st

4K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  timmytard 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Hmmmm.......I wonder if they will have a discounted pass rate for it? I might try to make the pilgrimage since I will have the day off. It's a 4 hour drive for me though, so hopefully I can find someone that would want to tag along.

#4 · (Edited)
Baker is already a really cheap day ticket. Big Sky was charging $60 for one run last year on opening day. With the weather coming in im betting its going to be deep. Get there early and jump off some shit for me. Bring your rock board baker isnt filled in with less than a 100" base.

13 Miles ENE Mt Baker WA
48.83°N 121.57°W (Elev. 5530 ft)

looks like the upper elevations will stay cold

This Afternoon Snow. Temperature falling to around 30 by 3pm. South southeast wind around 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Tonight Snow. Low around 26. Southwest wind 8 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.

Sunday Snow. High near 29. South southwest wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Sunday Night Snow. Low around 28. West wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Monday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 32. South southeast wind 9 to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.

Monday Night Snow. Low around 29. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Tuesday Snow. High near 32. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

#9 ·
Yeah, this year we are supposed to go to the Wife's Aunt's house in Sultan. I don't think we plan to eat until 4 or 5. I am still trying to talk the wife into it. My son is already on my side, he is itching to get some turns in. We will see how strong her will is over the next few days.

#17 ·
That made me chuckle.:laugh:

Donutz, we live about an hour away from there.

It's just like our mtns, only slightly better, higher, colder.

Do it, for sure!!:thumbsup::D Just like here, you should get @ least 1 maybe 2 wicked pow days in the span of a week:thumbsup:

See if you can get someone from the forum to guide you on the good shit.
I don't know Baker @ all, only been there 3-5 times in 25 years.
But I had one, if not THE best day ever there.

Due to the fact that I went with a skier who was really good, had seasons passes for years & knew the mtn really well.

I believe that made it the day it was, without him I would have gone down the same old shit that everyone else gets funneled into.
I can't stress that enough.
If you get one of those days, the ones dreams are made of, if you have too, find a kid with a seasons pass & pay him $10 bucks to take you to the place you'll remember for the rest of your life. Guaranteed. I'm not jokin' here.

Cause that place is mind blowing, on the perfect day. You might get 1 in the span of a week, maybe book both weekends?
You probably got upwards of a 90% chance that it could snow a foot or more in 9 days.

Trust me when I say, Best day ever.
Adopt me

TT

#12 ·
Donutz, usually it is. Your best bet is to keep an eye on the website though. And not to continue the threadjacking, BUT, Stevens and Crystal are both opening this week as well. WINTER IS FINALLY HERE!!! :D

#13 ·
Posible 65" new in the next 7 days, BAKER strikes again. I keep the guys at work to relax, this is typical NW, no snow, then dump 6'.

Not sure if any of you were up at BAKER the record year (95 feet), but to get an idea of the depth of the snow that year, next time your riding up the chairs, take a look at the riblets and look for a white painted line around the towers, that's where the snow was that year (there's several). F'ing crazy

#18 ·
Mr. Donutz, I'd be happy to give you the tour on a big dump day or any day. TT is correct find a local...that is tired and willing to hang (usually in the afternoon). Cause if it a really good day, locals are animals and you will have to balls up and keep up and for the goods....and they will not wait long. Its fun to give tours but I've lost a few tourist :dunno::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Some of the best days are when the visability due to puke, whiteout and or flat light really makes hard for tourist to keep up; combined with not knowing where you are or going and easily loosing the local in the puke and terrain (disappear over a roller/cliff/tree/chute). The locals are really used to flying blind, staying loose and just knowing where they are. Some of the terrain is that you just have to go and you can't/don't want to stop because it is hellish to get going...(you don't want to loose the float and be swimming chest deep). As for visability...it is often poor on the best days (bluebird pow...damm rare) and there are places you just can not see but have to make so its like relying on bat skillz....being loose enough and reactive enough to handle a 5 ft blind drop or airing off a blind windlip. That being said, these days can also be darn dangerous...tree wells, smashing your self on a windlip compression, not being able to handle a drop or a wong line over a cliff or loosing it in a chute and you can air yourself right in to hell. Find a local willing to leapfrog with you and take the time to get you through.

#21 · (Edited)
I sucked yesterday...only brought the 155 groomer and failed to also bring the goat, my legs got wasted fast and poor choice of lines...waist deep and building ledges to stand on to get going. However, Bakes was good, cooler good poo, snowed 11" while there and puking at times, not many folks and very chill, all lifts running....fun opening and much better than I expected. Though on the ride home a 4-5 car pile up and sitting for 2 hours about 5 miles up from Glacier. I didn't go today but the kid and her crew headed up...it should be good with better visibility and probably low crowds.
Happy Turkey Day
wrath

#25 ·
I sucked yesterday...only brought the 155 groomer and failed to also bring the goat, my legs got wasted fast and poor choice of lines...waist deep and building ledges to stand on to get going.

Having had an Option Bella myself, I've googled it a few times & your name always comes up.

So when I seen this pop up, I figured you were a prime candidate for this sucker.
I don't think you could find a more suitable board for where you live & ride
?:dunno:

Burton Fish barely used

This would be money well spent I believe. I'm sure your daughter would love to ride this as well.
For $200 bucks you could ride it all year & still sell it for $200. It shouldn't get to beat up, you'd only bring it out on the deep days.

You could probably find someone up here to buy it for you & bring it down when they come to Baker.

TT

#22 ·
How's the coverage up at Baker?

I just realized the only bindings I have won't mount on my shit stick. The new Ride bindings with the 'mini disks' won't mount to the Burton 3-hole pattern. Don't really wanna ride the new Berzerker in the low coverage, I guess I shouldn't have sold my old Deltas.....

#23 ·
Its decent...but until they hit 100" base, then its good to go. They opened pan yesterday thurs; wed...chute was closed and looked sketchy...doable but has some holes, gabl's closed under 5...the top looks good but bottom not so much, trees could use some more....the higher stuff was better. I was surprised how good it was since they said it was thin. I had a fine day given just blowing off the cobwebs. I might head up tomorrow...Sunday and try skinning around abit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.