Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Just in time for a bloody Xmas
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
snowklinger
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Problem is that there are probably very few peoples who can make an unchallenged claim to any territory. North American culture took the land from First Nations. But First Nations probably took land back and forth among themselves multiple times. Land claims in B.C. by First Nations total about 150% of the total land area of the province, despite the fact that not all the land is claimed. This is because of competing and overlapping claims. There's also some evidence (possibly engineered) that the First Nations are actually Second Nations and took the land from the Clovis people.

On the British Isles, the land has been conquered multiple times. Europe has had armies sweeping back and forth for millenia. Africa -- don't get me started.

This stuff has been happening for 50,000 years. The point is that if you try to enact justice and put everybody back where they came from, even assuming you can untangle it, probably no-one will end up where they are right now. So while I accept that the Palestinian business is complicated and so forth, claims of "it's our traditional land" are just rhetoric as far as I'm concerned.

Well said and the reason I bring up 1948. The "creation" of the state of Israel happened in the memory of current lifetimes, and even the current generation of people in that area are affected in a real way in terms of displacement. Ancient squabbles go back millenia and theres no way to untangle it all. As I've stated I really don't have a side here, but its easy to just look back to '48 and what has happened since to understand the modern Arab's point of view on Israel and the Zionist, Christian, Crusading west.

Last edited by snowklinger; 11-17-2012 at 02:56 PM.