Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Taking it easy after an injury. Your thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
So, I broke my ankle and fractured my fibula, at the beginning of August this year. It was pretty gnarly and it was on the first night of a 3 night camp out / party that we throw every year near Mt Pilchuck. Long story short, I spent 2 weeks in a hard cast and 2 months in a walking boot. There was all kinds of soft tissue damage, torn ligaments etc. I am walking around fine now but it is still sore. I am doing physical therapy and all that jazz but they told me that I should take it very easy snowboarding this year.

That is a very strange concept for me to try to follow. I know that it is very easy to re-injure my ankle. I guess my problem is that I am a very balls to the wall kind of person. I am not sure that I can keep myself from hitting the park or searching out chutes and cliffs.

Have any of you ever had to take it super easy even though you didn't want to? How does one keep themselves from listening to that evil little devil that tells you "it will be fine just do it"?

Thanks!
Of the years I've partially torn my ACL, and both MCLs (separate incidents). First time, I ended up taking it "easy" practicing on my hard carving. Second time, I just rode with my girlfriend the whole day and gave lessons to my friends that were riding at a lower level (I mean really watching them, doing on slope video review, etc). Third time, I just rode switch the entire time (except for the chairlift as I found strapping in switch and one footed on a rockered board feels *sketchy*).

Update: Oh, I also did a lot of photos and videos of my friends. I sort of alway did this, but when injured I was more willing to give up my runs through the park to setup in better video locations or doing follow-cam. Warning! I wouldn't describe follow-cams are taking it super easy. I've taken some bails doing it because it is hard to focus the camera on while matching their speed and paying attention to where you are riding. It's surprisingly hard to keep your friend steady in the camera frame as your go through the air over a kicker (all my attempts so far have a huge jerk when I hit the lip and when I land).

Oh yea, last year I also fractured my spine.

Last edited by lonerider; 11-18-2012 at 12:53 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote