Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Taking it easy after an injury. Your thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Toecutter
Veteran Member

It takes a minimum of six weeks for a fracture to be clinically healed (if everything goes perfect) but it takes up to twelve months for the bone to undergo its remodeling process and get to 100% strength.

If you're at 4-5 months post-repair then you've still got a ways to go before your fracture is at full strength. Of course your doctor and PT are going to tell you to take it easy. If he or she says, "Go for it! Go balls out!" and you re-injure yourself then you can bet someone is going to start pointing fingers at the doctor and/or PT. If not you, then your friends or family will do it. It's standard practice to underestimate the prognosis; you can thank the lawyers for that one.

It sounds as if you're planning to take it easy though, and you're having a hard time with the idea of avoiding temptation. I've been there when I fractured my clavicle, and when I tore the MCL in my knee. When I was younger I'd get back to activity more aggressively because I didn't have as much at stake as I do now (plus I was the classic young and invincible). I have a wife and kids who depend on me now to be able to work, so I visualize them living in despair, and that helps me keep myself in check.

Last edited by Toecutter; 11-19-2012 at 12:26 AM. Reason: grammar dammit
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote