Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Taking it easy after an injury. Your thoughts?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  surferbum21 
#1 ·
So, I broke my ankle and fractured my fibula, at the beginning of August this year. It was pretty gnarly and it was on the first night of a 3 night camp out / party that we throw every year near Mt Pilchuck. Long story short, I spent 2 weeks in a hard cast and 2 months in a walking boot. There was all kinds of soft tissue damage, torn ligaments etc. I am walking around fine now but it is still sore. I am doing physical therapy and all that jazz but they told me that I should take it very easy snowboarding this year.

That is a very strange concept for me to try to follow. I know that it is very easy to re-injure my ankle. I guess my problem is that I am a very balls to the wall kind of person. I am not sure that I can keep myself from hitting the park or searching out chutes and cliffs.

Have any of you ever had to take it super easy even though you didn't want to? How does one keep themselves from listening to that evil little devil that tells you "it will be fine just do it"?

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Of the years I've partially torn my ACL, and both MCLs (separate incidents). First time, I ended up taking it "easy" practicing on my hard carving. Second time, I just rode with my girlfriend the whole day and gave lessons to my friends that were riding at a lower level (I mean really watching them, doing on slope video review, etc). Third time, I just rode switch the entire time (except for the chairlift as I found strapping in switch and one footed on a rockered board feels *sketchy*).

Update: Oh, I also did a lot of photos and videos of my friends. I sort of alway did this, but when injured I was more willing to give up my runs through the park to setup in better video locations or doing follow-cam. Warning! I wouldn't describe follow-cams are taking it super easy. I've taken some bails doing it because it is hard to focus the camera on while matching their speed and paying attention to where you are riding. It's surprisingly hard to keep your friend steady in the camera frame as your go through the air over a kicker (all my attempts so far have a huge jerk when I hit the lip and when I land).

Oh yea, last year I also fractured my spine.

#3 · (Edited)
It takes a minimum of six weeks for a fracture to be clinically healed (if everything goes perfect) but it takes up to twelve months for the bone to undergo its remodeling process and get to 100% strength.

If you're at 4-5 months post-repair then you've still got a ways to go before your fracture is at full strength. Of course your doctor and PT are going to tell you to take it easy. If he or she says, "Go for it! Go balls out!" and you re-injure yourself then you can bet someone is going to start pointing fingers at the doctor and/or PT. If not you, then your friends or family will do it. It's standard practice to underestimate the prognosis; you can thank the lawyers for that one.

It sounds as if you're planning to take it easy though, and you're having a hard time with the idea of avoiding temptation. I've been there when I fractured my clavicle, and when I tore the MCL in my knee. When I was younger I'd get back to activity more aggressively because I didn't have as much at stake as I do now (plus I was the classic young and invincible). I have a wife and kids who depend on me now to be able to work, so I visualize them living in despair, and that helps me keep myself in check.

#4 ·
Maybe you can just stick to stuff you are comfortable with? In other words, don't push yourself to try new things that you are more likely to get injured on. I think starting slow would be key here. Lots of people tend to start the season right where they left off last year and it's important to take some days/weeks to build up to the condition you were in the previous year.

#5 ·
Ive never had damage like this so my thoughts are a bit more generic.
I would continue to take it easy, much easier said than done. As my thought is once you push it to much you won't know it and it will happen so fast that your season may be over in a flash.
I would try something like Lonerider has done to help pass the time and make it as exciting as possible for you.

#6 ·
Yeah, the idea of being forced to do something (or not do something in this case) is what really bothers me. I am planning to stay to groomers and spend most of my time trying to help my son progress in his riding. Impacts make my whole leg sore but I feel like I could ride at my son's pace and be confident.

I have a wife and kids as well and I can't afford to miss any more work. It was nice to hang out a bit when I had my crutches but I need to work or we won't be able to pay bills.

I think the whole thing is about swallowing my pride a little bit and focusing on the joy of being on the mountain rather than the adrenalin rush I am usually looking for.

#7 ·
Sounds like you are a great rider already but how is your switch riding??? Work on that.
This is the perfect time to maybe help bring your son's riding to a whole other level.
Great father son time just riding, talking and being with him.

Don't think of this as a set back, think of it as an opportunity !!!!!

#8 ·
You are totally right. I guess I was just to hung up on me to think of the positives. Will be fun to kick it with Xander and help get him better. Plus, he always has time to stop and make a snowman or have a snack. Great stuff for a recovery year.
:)

#10 ·
I did a severe calf tear a the the end of Dec last year....trying to learn to ski :rolleyes:, was out all of Jan (which was a poor snow month...oh well) then gradually back in it the beginning of Feb...sore; but I could tell even at the end of april that it was not back to 100%. So I say go for it but take it really easy and at the first signs just back off or call it a day....cause you don't want to re-injure and prolong time off the hill...but you don't want it to get weak or atrophy from not using....challenge it but do not over do it. At least thats what I did and was happy with my recovery progress.

#11 ·
Dude I was in same boat last year. I live for snowboarding. I broke my ankle end of august last year wakeboarding. i thought my season was shot. 12 weeks later i strapped up for my annual thanksgiving trip stressed out not knowing what to expect. I bought every brace known on the market and turned out taping it and the firmness of the boot felt best (the boots actually offer hella support). I rode every day just fine. I did take it easy no jumping just cruising and having fun with friends and family since I usually just bomb the hill and wait for them at the bottom. First trip went good had to ice it every night. It ached here and there but nothing unbearable. I got 28 days in (from Oklahoma) and got stronger and stronger and actually broke all my last year records, progress, etc. (hit 63 mph landed my first 360 and ride switch almost as comfortable as regular).

Ice, hot tub, and good ol PBR helped me through it. You'll be fine but yea take it easy and don't push it. You'll be shredding 99% by end of season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.