Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Stevens Pass Avalanche Article
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I got chills just reading that.

I'm confused, due to my utter lack of any avy knowledge.

Do they not dig holes to check the snow each time they ride? I remember watching a video of Bryan Iguchi where he was obsessed with digging these holes. I think the video was just of him digging and analyzing.
Digging pits is only part of the equation. The problem with pits is that they are representative of that spot only. 20 feet away can be completely different. Observational data, terrain choice, and paying attention to the weather all play a factor. I certainly do not dig pits on every outing. The article states that they made mistakes. The traps were all human factors for sure. The warnings were there. It doesn't change what happened. From what I remember temps played a huge factor in this one.

The best we can do to honor these people is to look at what their mistakes were and learn from them. Just like Wolfie says, you have to read the reports to learn what could have been done differently. So that hopefully you don't repeat the same mistakes. Lots to be learned from this one. Every time I went by the hair pin last season, I thought about that accident. You just couldn't help but think about it. I'm sure when I am out there this year it will be the same. This was a bad one, no doubt. Then again, none of the avalanche accidents that take lives are good ones.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote