Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

It's Official. Keystone is the biggest killer of them all.

11K views 57 replies 26 participants last post by  Skinny Bam 
#1 ·
Well ski resort wise...

A statistical breakdown of the 2011-12 season’s 17 inbounds fatalities looks like this:

14 skiers / 3 snowboarders
15 males / 2 females
12 wearing a helmet / 5 not wearing a helmet
8 from Colorado / 9 from out of state
7 deaths were caused by trauma from collisions with a tree
11 died while skiing groomed beginner or intermediate runs / 6 were on expert runs
5 died in March, 5 in Febraury, 5 in January and 2 in November
5 died at Keystone ski area
3 died in the days following their accident
The youngest person who died was 15 and the oldest was 72

Of the 17 deaths in the 2007-2008 ski season:
15 males / 2 females
9 deaths were caused by collisions with trees while skiing groomed beginner or intermediate runs / 8 were on expert runs
4 died at Keystone ski area
17 inbounds deaths at Colorado ski resorts matches 2007-08 record | All Things Colorado Sports ? Colorado sports news blog ? The Denver Post

You might be better off riding at a different ski area...

#46 ·
went riding @ Keystone today and didn't die!!! WOOHOO!

Some cool pics w/ sponger606 who had his GoPro handy and was able to capture these stills and my buddy KoopaTroopa who is thinkin bout joining the forums!

dopamean
, sponger606 [middle], and KoopaTroopa

my best trick of the day: The Super Penguin Slider!!!

KoopaTroopa got hops!

sponger has some video footie of us messing around so hopefully we'll see a cool little edited film in the near future!

Planning to go hit up Breck maybe thursday/friday and maybe Vail opening day!​

#51 ·
Keystone definitely has a bias against boarders. Finn from Bomber bindings had a legendary meeting with Craig Simson. He got the same anti snowboard response from Craig. If anyone knows Finn, he is a pretty mellow, reasonable guy. There was no need for Craig's attitude. Fuck Keystone.

#53 ·
I have a high number of days at Keystone. Like 800.

Keystone's Ski Patrol never bother me. One time a ski patroller busted me for ducking a rope into a closed run and gave me a stern lecture. I actually listened and he had valid points for me not to be going into a closed run. He let me go and another person who did the same thing. We both reacted calmly and were friendly towards the patroller. I have been carted down by Ski Patrol. Sometimes they tell me to slow down.

Are the snowboard patrollers at Keystone self loathing snowboarders? I doubt it. Not all mountains allow snowboarders in ski patrol. I know some ski patrollers who are cool and not dicks. This one guy sounds like a d-bag, but I never even hear of him.

I don't like the person who decides where to put the fences and no jumping signs. I don't like mountain watchers, they are the anti fun police. They are not good at noticing who are riding and skiing responsibly. It took like 5 off them to catch me when I was unintentionally sending them on a wild goose chase years ago. I did not know they were after me and once I did I tried to get away. I also got a warning for a foot of air from those yellow shit heads.

#54 ·
The latest adventure @ Keystone -- 11.15.12

[←]KoopaTroopa, [⇣]dopamean, [↑]David, [→]sponger606

:thumbsup:

#56 · (Edited)
Ride there this year, and then when you think about it this summer your gonna facepalm and be like jesus h christ i'm never going back to that shithole disney mountain again.

I'll go back for a51 laps but w/e its a deathtrap.

Just observe the volume of people screaming down roped off hardpack blue runs. its basically been a luge course for the last 2 years with tree walls instead of ice walls.

To be fair everyone has to keep in mind how fast we are going and to be careful. A good friend of mind who is an expert skier hit something weird in flat light this morning and broke his collarbone in 2 places and is all jacked up. He regularly clocks over 70mph, and figures he was doing close to 50 when he fell. How many people are we watching at keystone doing 35mph+ who you know for sure have an insignificant fraction of the experience and skill of a seasoned expert?

RIP Keystone Daredevils.

#58 ·
Holy shit I was there Wednesday night and Frenchman was the 1st run we did. I remember the next lift up someone told us they closed it but wasnt sure why...now I know, pretty eerie. The snow was super fast that night for sure but the runs were all pretty wide, I wonder how she ended up in a tree?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.