Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Who Started Riding @ 50+ and Why?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
extra0
Veteran Member

Since 10 yo, I skateboarded and surfed (chronic ankle injuries stopped me skateboarding in my mid 20s, but I still surf about 25 days a year). I always wanted to try snowboarding, but, as far as I knew, resorts didn't even allow them then.

I tried skiing (basically, riding them like I was on a snowboard...spraying on my edges, sideways, most of the time), but I couldn't seem keep from getting tangled up in all the equipment when I ventured into powder. I lost interest.

years later, at 39, friends invited me to go to Tahoe (stateline). It was Jan 1st and we arrived right after a huge storm (around 1-2 ft fresh). This was just supposed to be a party trip, but I rented a snowboard and a lift ticket to Heavenly and they never saw me again until we left days later. Totally stoked, completely hooked.

I've now been a passholder for 8 seasons at our closest resort (2+ hrs away). It's small, but it gets all the deep powder the sierra nevada mtns are famous for.

At first, even at my age, I was just as interested in learning the basic tricks (fs/bs airs, 180, 360, alley oop, etc), so I bought some pads and drove up every chance I got. I completed those goals and admit, that initial enthusiasm for the sport has waned, but I still love the deep snow aspect of snowboarding. Now, I usually only go up on powder days.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote