Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Colorado Meet?
Thread: Colorado Meet?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #32 (permalink)
dopamean

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
Dopa - how was Vail? Did they only have "Born Free" open and that's it?

I hit up A-basin again (3rd time) because they opened up the top. Pretty decent snow up top actually... a lot softer than I expected.
Vail was pretty disappointing as far as snowboarding goes.

They had 1 catwalk leading over to a green w/ a couple tiny rollers and the blue was mostly in the shade and icy. They have a little park open where the trails merge, consisting of a couple little boxes and a wall ride. But unless you want to cut across the highway I recommend mobbing the blue to get there. It was crowded.

The majestic views, alcohol-fueled nightlife and STD-infested swamp donkeys made up for it. I didn't get to ride @ all on opening day due to some wicked alcohol-poisoning that completely owned me.

Vendetta's has a good slice of pizza for $3.50 and a brew for $2.75

Steer clear of the Red Lion; drinks are overpriced and the wait-staff is terrible.

There's a little place down the stairs to the [right] when you come off the bridge. It's this tiny little coffee shop that sells some food and hard liquor and has a pretty chill vibe to it. The name escapes me, but it's got a 'Help Wanted' sign on the door and was playing some awesome, old-skool jams all night.

Though there was little to no snow anyway, the walkway throughout the village is heated so it won't ice over and there's a pretty cool fountain with flames pouring out of it up the hill, which I gather was designed by some dude for some stupid amount of $$$.

If you're interested in sticking something while you're up there, please wear a rubber and double-bag that shit if you can. The general and mostly unspoken-consensus is that everyone has had a ride around the block.

I haven't hit up Arapahoe Basin yet, but I definitely wouldn't recommend the extra drive-time to go ride Vail.

P.S. there's this place called 'Joe's' I think, which is half-ice cream shop / half-breakfast joint? Anyway, if you can keep your food down the next morning, go snag a breakfast burrito from them -- pretty dank.

Loveland: 1
Keystone: 4
Breckenridge: 4
Vail: 2
Beaver Creek: 0
Arapahoe Basin: 4
Copper: 0
Winter Park: 0
Alyeska: 3

Last edited by dopamean; 11-19-2012 at 10:24 AM.
dopamean is offline   Reply With Quote