Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Jake Burton Story
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #31 (permalink)
BurtonAvenger
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby View Post
Ahhhhh geez, all I wanted to do was let some of you people know of a program interviewing Jake Burton on his success/product line etc. A man who's company made $500 million last, has got to know something.

I wished that this sport would never have taken off like it has. I can remember at time if you wanted to ride BAKER, you had to prove to one of the snowboard employee's that you could turn left, turn right and stop, once you did that , then you had your picture taken and put on a separate pass that every lifty asked you for to prove that you could ride the entire mtn. Stevens Pass only let us ride weekdays and no hloidays, we once got kicked off of the mtn for riding the Friday after Thanksgiving for being "boarders". There used to be a time at BAKER when there was maybe 20 of us boarders that had a close brotherhood, encouraging each other, giving riding/gear tips, crashing at someone's house or catching a ride, now we have a bunch of "boarders" that are calling each other Fuck holes, assholes, stupid fuck, dumbshits, etc and talking shit about everyone else on the hill, but I guess that the way it is when you can hide behind your keypad.

What has happened to the sport I love, those days are long gone, but that wont stop me and my riding buddies of 27 years from ripping up that PNW powder
The simple answer for you. It got profitable and marketable.