Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

My Waxing Iron

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  OldDog 
#1 ·
So this year I decided to start doing my own equipment maintenance. I purchased all the necessary waxing and tuning supplies, read threads, and browsed videos. To try and get a feel for things I waxed my old board from a couple years ago that I don't really use anymore, save for days with bad conditions or to hit backyard jibs with. I believe it has an extruded base.

Anyway, I noticed that the wax didn't seem to be liquefying quite like I expected. It just didn't seem to spread out very easily or melt like I thought it would. I dripped wax up and down the board as I saw in many videos and thought I put a good amount, but not too much because it would just be more to scrape off after.

Should it take a very long time for an iron to melt the wax fully? When I would run my iron over the wax (a cheap regular iron, about 10$) it would feel as if i were just running it over dried wax bumps and it took many passes for it to melt down. Should I get a new iron? The temp I was using was in between cotton and wool setting, between 4 and 5 on my 6 temp iron. If the iron is turned all the way to 6 it will start smoking so I did not raise the temperature beyond 4.5.

I made sure to always keep the iron moving as to not damage the board. The wax I was using was made by OneBallJay, which didn't seem to be the issue at all.

Anyway, should I upgrade my iron? Any input is great.

See less See more
#3 ·
Do one area at a time. Keep going over say just the tail (or one edge or whatever) until your board is warm (not hot) all the way through. The wax will stay liquid for a few seconds rather than freezing immediately. Then move on to another area. You can't just move the iron all over the board frenetically and expect to heat up the base and expand the pores you want to absorb the wax. Just my .02 after waxing 3 boards myself and watching a ton of vids. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.