Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Best locations to learn?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
smat

Default Best locations to learn?

Hi there,

I live in Vancouver, BC. I took up snoaboarding a couple of years ago as a 21 year old and only went up 6-7 times without proper lessons. My first time up, I took a 45 minute lesson with a group of 7-11 year olds! lol It basically just taught me to start and stop. Anyway, I did the green and some blue runs on my trips up to Mount Seymour and Grouse but I still can't carve.

My question: I have figured that for me to learn carving, I need:
1) A wide run
2) As gentle a slope as possible (so as not to catch too much speed or else all I do is brake-n-go-brake-n-go and don't actually take the risk of trying to carve)
3) As long a run as possible.

In sum: a very wide, barely sloping run which is quite long so that I don't spend 3 quarters on my time on a magic-carpet / chair.

Is this even possible to find in BC? I know Seymour's bunny hill is a mere 10 second long run and Grouse pretty much does not have a bunny hill. Someone suggested that the Collins run on Cypress would fit the bill. Others seemed to think Whistler would be ideal although I have widely heard that if you are not good, Whistler is not for you. What do you guys think?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Last edited by smat; 11-19-2012 at 05:36 PM.
smat is offline   Reply With Quote