Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Best locations to learn?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
gjsnowboarder
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smat View Post
Hi there,

I live in Vancouver, BC. I took up snoaboarding a couple of years ago as a 21 year old and only went up 6-7 times without proper lessons. My first time up, I took a 45 minute lesson with a group of 7-11 year olds! lol It basically just taught me to start and stop. Anyway, I did the green and some blue runs on my trips up to Mount Seymour and Grouse but I still can't carve.

My question: I have figured that for me to learn carving, I need:
1) A wide run
2) As gentle a slope as possible (so as not to catch too much speed or else all I do is brake-n-go-brake-n-go and don't actually take the risk of trying to carve)
3) As long a run as possible.

In sum: a very wide, barely sloping run which is quite long so that I don't spend 3 quarters on my time on a magic-carpet / chair.

Is this even possible to find in BC? I know Seymour's bunny hill is a mere 10 second long run and Grouse pretty much does not have a bunny hill. Someone suggested that the Collins run on Cypress would fit the bill. Others seemed to think Whistler would be ideal although I have widely heard that if you are not good, Whistler is not for you. What do you guys think?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
First question because this happens all the time: Are you trying to toe to heel turns in a s-shape down the mountain? Or Two, are you able to already do that and are now trying to carve where the nose and tail of the board follow in the same path leaving a thin line in the snow? There is quite some difference between the two.

If it is one: save your self some heartache and a least take a one hour private. You can also watch SnoWolf's videos on learning how to ride. Just use the search function on this website.

If it is two: Think of blocking your upper body so that it stays parallel (nose to tail) over the snowboard ( i.e. if left foot forward left shoulder stays over nose and right shoulder stays over tail). To accomplish the carve Primarily use your both your feet together to tip/tilt the board up on edge. Make this movement progressively like a ratch bumping over each individual tooth of a ladder strap. You can find more details for carving by searching this forum.

Good luck.
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote