Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Flow Binding 2013 Q & A
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #225 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGoldwin View Post
Perhaps my technique is not good enough, but I preffer lighter setup. It feels easier to pop and spin of everything at anytime. More playful with no cement on the feet and heavy armor on the board.

Nice vintage video btw.
oh I like lighter setups too... it was only after I realized that flow were about as light as a regular binding am I seriously considering them (in my head thy are still the clunky thing I saw in the 90s). At the same time I have to be honest with myself and realize that it is mostly psychological since I am sadly not worlds better on my much lighter Rome 390s than I was with those super heavy catek free rides (aka I wish a lighter setup made me do any trick noticeably better).

That's not to say just because it is mostly psychological it isn't significant. When doing spins I had this issue where I would worry about completing my spin on a smaller jump (20ft vs 35ft) and I would try to over-muscle the rotation and pre-rotate on the ramp (how I imagine a baseball pitcher sometimes tries to hard to throw a fastball). The net effect would be I would bleed off my speed on the lip, and not get a smooth pop for my rotation (leading to under rotation). However, when I felt relaxed (I was really comfortable with the jump and felt I had the speed and how I had to throw the spin dialed in) rotation felt really easier and floaty (regardless of the gear setup I had).

Do that make sense?

Last edited by lonerider; 11-19-2012 at 06:04 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote