Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - TRice vs Cobra vs Custom vs... Been out of the game for a while
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
hktrdr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyD27 View Post
I have no experience on either of these boards though looking at them in comparrison.

Custom:
5 of 10 on feel rating. Middle of the road feel not to soft or stiff. soft enough to butter around and play a bit yet stiff enough to charge and bomb runs to an extent.

It's a directional twin camber board that uses light weight wood core. binding mounts are slightly set back to allow the nose to cut through pow and increase flotation and pop on the tail.

Custom X
7 of 10 on feel rating which gives you a slightly more stiff, responsive board that is more stable at higher speeds as well as better edge hold while carving hard.

The Custom X is loaded w/Burton tech. It's A directional twin camber board with a super light wood core "Dragon fly" core which is composed of 500 independent laminations, each individually oriented within the core, result in superior weight-savings, strength, and energized response. This board also features what they call "Multizone EGD" where they strategically input four separate zones, where the wood grain is perpendicular to the core adjacent to The Channel to improve board strength and edge hold. Additionally their "Squeezebox" tech is the use of soft pliable wood under your feet and a harder more ridged wood and the tip and tail for increased maneuverability and board pop. The boards tip and tail has been tapered in thickness to help reduce swing weight for the spin junkies and finally the board is Pre-broke in at factory so you don't have to do it.

So needless to say if it were me looking at these two boards I definitely say the Custom X is worth the extra $100 bones. That's just my opinion feel free to formulate your own. Burton's web site does a good job of explaining all the tech and the reasoning behind it just gotta do the research brotha! good luck, have fun and ride safe.
Custom X definitely has much more tech at not much of a premium (although the effective price difference is a bit more in my experience, as there tend to be bigger discounts on the standard Custom).
However, for the vast majority of riders the Custom is a much better board. The X is just too stiff and too much board for most riding - most riders do not benefit from the extra charging ability of the X but will miss the playfulness and forgiveness of the standard Custom.

Last edited by hktrdr; 11-19-2012 at 10:31 PM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote