Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Jake Burton Story
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #39 (permalink)
lucky13

It seems that people are getting 2 different concepts confused here. Although the two concepts may overlap slightly in some ways, they are two separate concepts...

One is the impact Burton has on their manufacturer competitors (other snowboard/gear manufacturers). IMO, (almost) all is fair in competition of like businesses. Burton has done an excellent job of retaining a majority market share. Burton can not be to blame for using their name, power, influence, money, etc. to retain their market share in the very competitive market that snowboarding has become. Business is dog eat dog..

The second concept being Burtons impact on retail shops. The retail shops are essentially Burton's customers - the retail shops are the distributor of Burton's products to the end user/ consumer. As BurtonAvenger and others have mentioned, Burton has done a lot of questionable things to the retail shops. Burton seems to have taken the stance of "It is a privilege for your shop to carry our products," which IMO, is completely wrong- it is no way to treat your customer.

Also, the fact that Burton is opening up their "Flagship Stores" and pushing products direct from their website would rub me the wrong way as a retail shop..

Being in business, I completely understand the need to protect your market share from competition at all costs.
I also understand that customers are of the utmost importance, and need to be treated accordingly. Things change, and you never know when you will regret burning those bridges..
lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote