Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

491K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#4,802 ·
Hey Kyle (?), my buddy in Rockford just bought that same board in a 153 from Wiredsport and tried it out last night for the first time at Cannonsburg with me. I was actually impressed with that board's build for as cheap as it was. He really felt it was an upgrade over the rentals he'd been using prior to this. Thought I'd share that with you in case you hadn't a chance to use it yet.

If I could go back and do it all over again, I would have started with a package like this I think. Perfect for learning, easy on the budget and probably will get you through until you figure out more what you want in a setup.

#4,805 ·
Thanks for the info, and yea it's Kyle. I haven't taken it out yet, hope to hit up Cannonsburg on Sunday. Just strapped in and messed around in my basement. Board felt good, maybe a touch stiff, but don't know how it will feel in snow.

And that was my thought, use this for a full season or 2 and then upgrade when budget allows, and like you said i have a better feel for what i like.

#4,806 ·
On my way to work today roads are already really slippery and the snow hasn't started yet. I drive from Grand Rapids to Muskegon. If you head out be really safe as that snow is just blowing like crazy and you literally cannot see five feet in front of you. Had a bad car accident on US31 on Wednesday due to the same conditions. Good luck if you are driving, and just take it slow and turn your damn lights on.

#4,809 · (Edited)
Looking at radar on TV looks like you'll have the better drive. Karp and Dave are in the thick of it.

Pulling the plows off the roads in some places in West Michigan. They said it's pointless to even try to keep up.

#4,813 ·
Mother-in-law came down with the flu or some shit so we ended up going to father-in-law's place near Everett/Marion instead. Longer drive there, but much shorter ride to Crystal today. Roads were passable and pretty decent, but the blowing snow was nuts, especially from Cadillac onwards. Got here around 3, got on the slopes a little after 4 for a few hours.

Had the place basically to ourselves. Fresh tracks all around. Wind was only a minor factor on the lifts, on the front side it was really not bad.

They dropped the rope that usually separates Main Street from Basin Street/Interlochen Arts, that's a short but steep ridge peppered with pine trees. It made for some super fun pow drops today. Until the last run when I took a mellower approach than the ~10' drop I'd been abusing all night and got majorly bucked by a buried stump or some shit. I could almost see it as I rode up on it as the ridge bottoms out, but too late to make an adjustment. It's been a while since I ragdolled like that... I'll be stiff tomorrow lol.

It's been puking snow all night. Easy 4" I'd says since we arrived. Tomorrow is going to be tits.

#4,814 ·
You're gonna see why I've been raving about Crystal all season. Have had 4 legit pow days up there now. They've had that fence down most of the season. Good fun. I don't ollie or drop into it though, just ride down it.

There's a cool tree area between By George on the North Face and Leo's Legacy (the run you use to return from the North Face) that you should check out. I don't think they glade it like the area by Abendroth, so it's a bit gnarlier. You can hike it back to the North Face lift and hit it again from there. You probably already know this.

Fuck I wish I was there. Glad you made it safe.

Searchmont looks awesome Paul.

#4,815 ·
There's a cool tree area between By George on the North Face and Leo's Legacy (the run you use to return from the North Face) that you should check out. I don't think they glade it like the area by Abendroth, so it's a bit gnarlier. You can hike it back to the North Face lift and hit it again from there. You probably already know this.
Yeah you go out in to the woods in the direction of that transformer or whatever, I remember it but that zone hasn't been filled in well for years and I forgot about it until I was just talking to someone else about it last night. I remember riding that when the North Face lift was brand new there was a short traverse/hike up towards like a water tower or something (can't remember the details but it was some sort of "industrial" feature maybe a giant wire spool or some other stuff... might not be there anymore). I'll definitely head that way today :)

#4,817 ·

....glad you made it safe! Enjoy the Awesomeness!! ;)

#4,818 ·
I'm frustrated too Chomps, Dave is at Crystal, my wife and her friends are going up there for an overnight stay, my main riding partner Travis is there, and I'm stuck here with the kids. And it's too cold to play with them outside. And pow day up north. Bummer all the way around.

#4,819 ·
I'm frustrated too Chomps,..

...stuck here with the kids. And it's too cold to play with them outside. And pow day up north. Bummer all the way around.
Yup! To make matters worse, still being plagued by back, hip, shoulder stuff. So can't even hit the local!! (...well, I could, but I decided not to push!) Went to Chiro yesterday, lower back & L hip still feels wrong even after adjustment! I can't tell if this is arthritis related or a holdover from those crashes last time @ Boyne! Frustrating tho to say the least!

Still, trying to stay upbeat and give some pos vibes to the guys for their enjoyment! (....with no wife & kids, I get out to ride more often if not always for as high quality riding!) :dunno: :thumbsup:

#4,821 ·
:blink: ....and rubbin' it in to boot! LOL! That Amy's run is pretty nice with a ton of fresh on it eh? Been to the backside, north slope yet? That usually has some nice stashes after a dump!

#4,822 ·
That's what Crystal looked like last Sunday, with fewer tracks. I only bring this up to make myself feel better about missing out today. I'm even going to revert to emoticons. :RantExplode:

#4,827 ·
I'm sorry to rub it in but I had to watch all those pow days from the sidelines last season. #sorrynotsorry View attachment 38353

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Hey, you definitely earned the right,.... :eusa_clap: ;) Glad your enjoying it!

Actually, it was just Puking snow here for a while earlier! Wish my back & hip felt good. It'd be a pretty good day on the groomers here even! (...Not too cold & wind hasn't gotten brutal yet either!) :(

You'll be coming home to a few or more inches too! :thumbsup:

#4,830 ·
Aww man! That sucks. I swear, I'm amazed at all the gear I see left loose n unattended. From day one I would never leave ANYTHING unlocked or out of my sight. (...that Paranoia is the inevitable result of having been robbed and stolen from a number of times in my life. Including having a portion of my Pay embezzled at one point!!). :blink:

Hope the thieves end up with those poles embedded in their rectums! ;)

#4,833 ·
I am planning on going there, just depends on when my wife gets home tomorrow and how the roads are. I'd say I'm 75% sure that ill be there. It will probably be a game-time decision though.

#4,836 ·
Crystal was legit today, probably the best conditions I can remember. I've ridden in more snow there, but it was heavy/wet snow. This was nice and relatively dry. About 8" was the yesterday/overnight total, squalls off-and-on all day to keep things fresh.

Digging the new glades on Buck. Gorge Glades is a nice addition I guess, but like Gorge itself, it's too short to really be much fun. Best part was jumping the rope between buck and Gorge/Lower Gorge. Pow landing.

Leo's Log (in the glades between Lakeview & Dandy's) is basically a ride-on right now it's almost buried in snow there's so much base in the trees at this point. I haven't seen it that buried in ages.

It was cold, but not insufferable by any stretch although a few of the lifts (Clipper, especially) were brutal on the upper portion. The wind was mostly above the trees all day. Crowds weren't bad at all I think the snow/bad roads kept a lot of commuters at home today which was nice. Didn't really wait in a lift line for more than 30 seconds all day long.

Got to the slopes around 9, hit pow mostly on Buck/Buck Glades/Gorge for an hour before grabbing the rest of the family. Broke for lunch about 1230ish for about an hour, rode until 430. I'm beat.

#4,837 ·
Drive up to Boyne wasn't too bad Friday afternoon, snow wasn't staying on the road. Saturday morning was a ton of snow, but it's super slow. Lots of flat places here. Here is quick video of some deep stuff. If this isn't edited, fast forward to 1:25...if it is then just watch the whole 40 some seconds :)

#4,839 ·
+1 on both counts! :huh: