Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Ankle injury....riding with brace
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
DirtyD27

Sounds like possibly two culprits to blame. My first thought is that you need to adjust your top strap so that it fits comfortably and there is no weird pressure being applied on your foot. The strap should distribute even pressure a crossed your foot.
Another possibility is that your strapping in to tightly on the top strap. At first you may feel fine but as the day wears on the applied pressure causes pain to your foot due to the lack of mobility at your mid foot.
As for the pain with riding the lift that is undoubtedly a strength issue. As your foot dangles with the the board attached the muscles supporting your ankle fatigue, thus applying more tensile forces to the ligaments causing the joint to stretch. This is most likely amplified if your broad begins to rotate in any fashion.
Most adult boards weigh in anywhere from 8-12 lbs. Depending on board length and type of material used in construction. If you were to sit with your ankle dangling over an edge with a 10 lbs weight on it all day you have to assume that eventually its going to hurt.
My suggestion is first, adjust your straps. Most bindings have multiple mounting positions find a position that allows the strap to apply equal pressure a crossed your foot.
Secondly, do not crank your straps down so tight that they are crushing your foot. Again, adjust the strap so that it only takes 3-5 clicks from the ratchet to give you the necessary level of tightness.
Lastly, strengthen your ankles. You can do this in the ways i suggested above. You may also want to practice this functionally buy strapping into your board and sitting on something that will allow your board to dangle much like on the lift. try to let it dangle for at least the same amount of time or slightly longer than your lift ride. Doing this will prepare and strengthen your ankle for the up coming season.

My rides
2012 NS Legacy 163.
2013 NS Brothers in Arms Cobra 163.

Last edited by DirtyD27; 11-20-2012 at 09:27 AM.
DirtyD27 is offline   Reply With Quote