Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Lessons Complaints and Compliments
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grizz
Veteran Member

Wolfie had some great nuggets up there.

The main thing to remember about your new profession is it's student centered. You're not the important one... they are.

Empathy is a common trait I see in many talented instructors. Try to gather enough information to put yourself in their boots. It's the difference between teaching to them VS at them.

In another area, I think Bones really hits on something important here. Many first year instructors struggle with this concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
2) For me personally, be physical. Don't keep saying "get lower" over and over, I heard you the first time. Problem is: I think my stance is low. Next chance you get, put your hands on my shoulders, push me down and say "that's what I mean by low".
"Get Lower", is quite vague. Tell and show your student what specific body part they need to move, how much movement is required, when to do it and for how long, to achieve the desired board/snow interaction. If they struggle give them smaller pieces of the movement pattern to focus on.

Good Luck
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote