Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Wisconsin or Michigan?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 05:46 PM   #30 (permalink)
Gdog42

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-ice View Post
Bittersweet is normally where I go the most, but I would like to try timber ridge and swiss valley sometime. Does anyone have a report on them? Only thing I don't like about bittersweet is their park is a bit narrow in places and the place is PACKED on most weekends, so much so that you have to wait at least fifteen minutes on some lifts.(
I've been to all 3 several times. Here is my fully-detailed review of Swiss Valley:
DO NOT go to Swiss Valley! That place is literally the smallest ski and snowboard place in existence. It's just a lame little valley with 3 lifts. It's ran by a bunch of skiers who think they know EVERYTHING about snowboarding, but they don't really know much at all. They over-groom all of their slopes to the point where it feels like you're riding on ice.(And I know what that's like- cold day, ice from the summit of Winter Park, CO, bombing it all the way down at balls-out speed onto rock-hard frozen moguls on the Mary Jane run. Yeah, that was really fun I guess...)
Swiss Valley has 2 terrain parks: a small main park with one 3- 5 ft kicker. Everything else are literally just boxes but they're so cramped together in that small space that it's kind of difficult to transition from one feature to the next. The other park is an even smaller beginner park, but it has narrow but short rails everywhere that are actually more difficult to hit than some of the boxes in the other park. Both parks are parallel and lead down to...brace yourself... THE WORLD'S SLOWEST CHAIRLIFT! so you can forget fast park laps if that's your thing.
One of the biggest complaints of me and several other people I know is that in the cafeteria they overcharge way too much for everything because they know that there's no where else to go for food, unless you bring your own like I did!
Want new gear? Their store is ran by skiers who think they have the best snowboard gear... Flow bindings are an example, which are known to break easily. One of those guys tried to sell me (6'4") a 140cm bargain brand board before last season, and claimed he knew everything about camber, length-to-height ratio, etc. He was talking absolute gibberish. He didn't know that I'm pretty much a snowboard gear nut due to an obsession with gear that I'll admit I've developed . When I started correcting him on everything he was saying, he went off and just started talking about the Whistler backcountry or something like that which had nothing to do with the board he was trying to sell me!
My point is that they have no idea what their doing or talking about there. For the same lift ticket price go to Bitter Sweet instead. Those guys are awesome!
See their website and check out their trials map to get an idea of how jokingly small the place is
*This review was not intended to offend anyone who may work at Swiss Valley. It is simply a review expressing my opinion toward the place. So don't try to come after me!
I'll give you a much shorter review of Timber Ridge next (which is much better) Sorry this was so long, I'm just sick of hearing people around my area say how good and "big" Swiss Valley is. They have no idea.

Last edited by Gdog42; 11-20-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Gdog42 is offline   Reply With Quote