Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Lessons Complaints and Compliments
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
JeffreyCH
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Gee wizz Wolfie, almost sounds like you know what your talkin about

I've never had a lesson, I might take one on my spring trip or next year when I hit that wall between intermediate/advanced.Last year I got my GF's 11 y/o son 2 lessons, one private, and one semi private( with one of his friends) The first guy was outstanding, the second one was..okay.
Here's the differences I saw, keep in mind this is a speed bump in Iowa. The first guy met us in the rental area and helped finishing up the gear fitting/instruction part of things (basically took over for me so I could get the hell out of the there and go ride :P) One of the first things he asked him was if there was any heel lift in his boots, and went on to explain what heel lift was. I dipped while he was showing him how to get in/out of the bindings. Very respectful young man, I could tell he was stoked on his job, gave me a "I got this, you can dip" Look.

The second guy showed up 5-10 minutes late to the meeting area and acted like he didn't even want to be there. At the end of the day my GF's son hadn't improved and his friend almost seemed traumatized.

I watched both from the lift, the first guy would talk to the boy for a few, then ride down 20' or so, stop, turn around, and wave for him to come on, then when the boy caught up to him, would talk for a few and repeat the process. On the first chair up I could see by the instructors body movements he was explaining how to get off the lift.

The second guy was texting on the lift, rode about a 1/4 of the way down the hill, texted while the boys were catching up, then took off after less then a minute spent "instructing" .... Nice enough kid, but acted more like he was babysitting, then teaching snowboarding.

The moral of the story is, do your job to the best of your abilities, you are a teacher not a babysitter. Oh yeah..and ya might wanna heed Snowolfs advice, sounds perfectly logical to me.