Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

YAkima roof rack

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  grafta 
#1 ·
I own a 2010 impreza, should I buy a yakima roof rack for it? ARe they pretty decent? ARe you impressed with yours? Let me know !

#8 ·
I bought a Thule rack last fall from ORS and love it. Price and shipping was awesome and rack works great!
The new all black aerodynamic looking Yakima that holds the 4 snowboards looks better than the boxy grey Thule ... I just purchased Yakima 3 weeks ago and all it came down to was looks...
I have a yakima rack for my car (it's the only popular brand that fit it). It fits and holds well, but I take it off my car during the summer (unless I need it for my bike rack) because I noticed it started to wear the gloss on my paint job. Two thumbs up for the rack's functionality, but don't make it a permanent feature on your car...
Sweet Yakima it is, thanks everyone =D <3

#10 ·
You need control towers, landing pads, load bars and snowboard/ski clamps.

You'll have to do some research into what will fit your year of subie... or go to the shop and make them do it for you :thumbsup:

I got some of my gear 2nd hand off craigslist, and the landing pads from rackattack. It took a while rounding it all up, but I saved a bunch of cash.

#6 ·
I have a yakima rack for my car (it's the only popular brand that fit it). It fits and holds well, but I take it off my car during the summer (unless I need it for my bike rack) because I noticed it started to wear the gloss on my paint job. Two thumbs up for the rack's functionality, but don't make it a permanent feature on your car...

#14 ·
:laugh:

Comeon dude, you drive a 2010! What's another $600 to someone rollin in that?

:D

But seriously, the clamp on rack systems cost the same if you want a nice one... otherwise look on craigslist for good used. I payed nearly exactly half new price for ours all said and done

#16 ·
You first need to decide whose "bars" you like better, or can get cheaper. Both Yakima and Thule make a quality set up.:thumbsup:

You will then need to choose whose "rack" you like better. I have & like the Yakima Big Powderhound for times when we load up the wagon and have 4 boards on top. Only drawback here is that it is tough to get 2 decks with Flow bindings upside down on the rack. Limited clearance to the vehicle roof.

I also have and like the Thule 575 Snowboard Carrier. It is restricted in that it will only carry 2 boards, but it is a much smaller setup, very quick to use. Nice if it is just you or you and a friend. No clearance issues here.

Racks and Bars are interchangeable, so don't be afraid to mix and match. I believe both of the above racks come with locks and will serve you well. Decide what will work best for you and find it at the best price as recommended above.

#17 ·
Racks and Bars are interchangeable, so don't be afraid to mix and match. I believe both of the above racks come with locks and will serve you well. Decide what will work best for you and find it at the best price as recommended above.
Yakima bars are round, thule are square. The fittings are shaped to fit each brand so you kinda do need to choose a brand and stick to it unless you wanna pay extra for adapters n shit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.