Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Lessons Complaints and Compliments
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
boarderaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoFreshies View Post
Me and thugit both got accepted into Snowboard School Instructor positions at Bogus Basin (provided we can pass the riding portion of the hiring clinic). I was wondering, and im sure he is too, from people who have taken both private and/or group lessons, which mainly are new riders their first couple of times, what were some complaints and compliments about the lesson. Things the instructor did well, things that you left complaining about, if they explained something really well, if you were lost the whole time, if your kid had fun in the lesson and what the instructor did to make it fun, how much did you learn, what did you find was the best way for you to learn this sport...stuff like that. So lets hear the stories
Ahhhh so much to answer to such a simple question! There are so many people with different learning styles. When I teach a lesson, I usually try my best to adapt my teaching style to folks who are trying to learn. It usually takes a little bit of trial and error, but you'll get there eventually. A few other things I've picked up on over the years is to try to keep explanations sweet and simple, and to keep the students moving. Students are usually warmer from constant movement, and it allows you to keep an eye on the person so you can correct their form.

From time to time, you'll get the odd person who WANTS that metaphor, and that's ok. But again, keep the metaphor sweet and simple.

As gjsnowboarder mentioned as well, go to morning sessions!!! There is usually a lot of insight to gain by talking with higher level evaluators in terms of how to make your lessons more efficient with how you can analyze movement and how you can learn various ways to teach students certain things. Even after taking the level 2 training course and teaching for eight seasons, I feel like I can never get enough insight in how to be better at what I do. For myself, one thing I've noticed with these sessions is that my form is always getting critiqued and poked and prodded and this has helped me be able to look at another rider and say, "Ok, this is what you're doing, and this is how you can improve this" and a lot of students appreciate that.

I hope this helps!
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote