Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Burton Mission Bindings, How tight can they get?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcove View Post
I had my bindings set up properly, been doing this since the mid 80's and wouldn't consider myself a novice. And yes my 9 yr old did indeed break 2 freestyle jr baseplates. Both happened in the same spot......the thin piece on the outside of the binding moulding where the toe strap is held in. The second time it happened the toe strap fell out and was lost.....which Burton refused to replace because only the base plate is life time warranty.....even though the whole reason it went missing was because of the poor quality baseplate. You wouldn't think this is a big deal but when you can't even purchase this part because any dealer you go to says Burton has not got back to them is pretty weak. I won't deny he is very hard on his equipment and rides a lot of park......he also snapped a Burton Chopper 121 the same year.....right along the side edge of the front baseplate.

Nivek

Yes I like my bindings snug and my last pair of Burtons slipped from the day I got them. Over the years I have not experienced ratchet slip with any other bindings including my older Burtons....imo their quality has declined and was stunned by their lack of customer service. This experience has made me open up my eyes to other manufacturers.
Ok, now I'm starting to believe you did install them correctly. Funny, you should mention that you snapped the thin piece of the baseplate that hold the toe strap in... did it look anything like this?

That is my pair of 2005 or 2006 Burton C60 (Burton's top of the line binding). That being said, I was still able to have it replaced.

This is my pair of Burton P1, again... they mailed me a replacement in a week.

This was my friends 2007 Cartels. He tried to drop a frozen waterfall years before Xavier De La Rue did it... Burton replaced it without question

But despite all of this... at least the ratchets always worked great for me I eventually moved to Rome bindings.... and now I'm looking at Flow bindings of all things (which in my head were still the clunky things from the '90s).

I used to be a over-tightener like you, but realize I did that because a) my boots didn't fit me properly and so I was compensating by over-tightening them and the bindings as well b) I was being OCD and doing it for a stupid sense of reassurance (like a child sucking his thumb) and forced myself to stop doing it. I only started doing this in the last few year myself, so I really can't be righteous about it... but I suggest joining me in giving up your "baby pacifier" and tighten your bindings to just snug.

Last edited by lonerider; 11-21-2012 at 01:50 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote