Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - do you have knee problems?
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepstealer View Post
This thread is twofold, one for anyone who might have knee issues - why not create a thread for a common snowboard injury - and two -for myself.

The inside of my right knee is a little tender/sore. This is mostly me being paranoid, but do I have anything to worry about? The tenderness is on the inside - if you were to sit down, knees at 90 degree angles, and feel that "ball" of cartilage on the inside of you right knee...thats whats sore for me. It hurts if I press on it, especially lower towards the back of the knee. I can walk on it fine.

Within the last couple of months I started lifting hard, something which I have not done in many years. I'm athletic and so wasn't too worried about ramping up to a fairly intensive core/strength routine to get ready for the season. I started out the first couple weeks with lifting smaller weight, and got into REALLY pushing myself the last two weeks, up until now. I've also been hiking and playing soccer the last two weeks, mixed in with lifting (squats, lunges, jump-rope).

So, should I be worried? I'm guessing I should just rest it and chalk it up to a tendon strain, although I know the MCL is on the inside of the knee too.

Do any of you ride with a knee brace?

Thoughts/advice are appreciated. I'm banking on hitting the doctor for a physical sometime soon anyways, so maybe that will help?

Thanks.
You should worry about it... as I got older I started getting knee soreness like this... the next few years I had a bunch of knee injuries (ACL and both MCLs) and that was a warning sign... so I started learning a lot about biomechanics and physical therapy (I was there so often I start asking questions).

Turns out my quads were super tight and thick and too strong compared to my hamstrings. A tight quad and/or IT band will literally pull on your kneecap and cause it not to track properly in the groove of your knee.

You should get a foam roller (they are cheap at Walmart) and start rolling like this. I've even saw some pro riders using the foam roller in a one of those pre-ride timelapse skits in a snowboarding video (might have even been Travis Rice's Art of Flight...)

Also stretch out your quad... I found the resistance stretching technique, which was used by 42-year old Olympic swimmer Dara Torres to be really effective. I know this guy seems a bit... frou-frou, but trust me... this stretch really works better than the standard quad stretch

lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote