Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Buying a new K2 or Ride board
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arl2 View Post
Yeah around there. But it also depends on what your going to do. Since you want to hit jumps and progress into the park, a smaller board would be better. Easier to control and spin in the air.
See it was mis-information like this that I'm trying to combat.

No offense Arl, but I'm going to guess you don't ride park that often - but you "read" online that shorter boards are easier to control and spin in the air, and so you are now parroting it to someone else.

A shorter board is a tiny bit easier to handle, but the difference is so small I wouldn't worry about it until you havd 360 dialed in start going for 540s and or you are trying to do 270 into and out of boardslides. When you are just starting out... virtually any board will be fine in the park (i.e. yes there are boards that are bad... but you really have to be trying hard ... like getting a dedicated swallowtail powder board). Straight airs, straight air with grab, 180s, even 360s all can easily be done with basically any board. If you are having trouble doing these tricks because you board is ~1% longer (153 vs 155), then you are doing it wrong.

I use this video to demonstrate that shorter board length is not a big a factor as some people say it is (jump to 1:40 to see the guy doing jumps, spins, and pipe).

That because said, OP... 150-155 is your range and you can shorter if you think that this your personal preference. You just lose a little stability on bigger jumps (this is me on a 155 cm board at your weight) and for halfpipe (video of me doing rails and halfpipe). As you can see, I'm not an amazing rider, but I'm doing ok on a 155 cm board. I've had a shorter board (K2 Jibpan 150cm)... and it was a tiny bit easier... but seriously it didn't not make me much better of a rider (I wish it did... but it is what it is). BTW, the Ride Machete sounds like a great board, I just haven't ridden it myself.

Last edited by lonerider; 11-21-2012 at 02:59 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote