Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

best snowboard jacket brands?

39K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  tonyisnowhere 
#1 ·
I know next to nothing about the quality of the many, many snowboard jacket brands out there. Can someone enlighten? Last time I bought a jacket was...6 years ago? I've been riding in that jacket (a Special Blend) and a Burton my brother gave me for Xmas a couple years ago.

Should I stay away from certain brands more than others or can I not really go wrong?

Thanks,

sheep

#4 ·
Unfortunately all you'll get here is 100 people telling you their favourite brand(s). I wish there was a torture test or something for snowboarding outerwear (like they used to do with jeans).

Personally I've got a Planet Earth jacket that's lasted me at least 10 years. I have probably 200 days on the slopes, and a lot of general winter jacket usage out of that jacket.

I bought a Westbeach jacket/pants combo a couple seasons ago and the stuff is very good, but it's also very expensive ($250 for each piece for a shell).

If you want heavy winter gear get fully seam sealed, 20,000k, etc etc etc. Everything else is subjective methinks.

#10 ·
If I had an unlimited budget I would buy a Volcom Goretex jacket or a Burton AK. or any Goretex jacket for that matter.

Realistically, I buy whatever looks good. Right now I use both Analog and Sessions jackets. You can definitely find better performing jackets, but I've never been soaked in either brand.

#11 ·
The more "fashionable" a brand is... the more it probably can get away with shoddy materials in their mid/lower wear and people will still buy it to look "steezy." For that reason, I generally avoid recommending Oakley, Volcom, Analog (and Burton to a lesser degree) as you are often paying more for the brand name and the style than the actual performance.

Arcteryx is top-end, some of the best stuff you can buy... but priced that way too. I got it for my wife because she gets cold very easily and I'd rather pay now... than "pay" on the slopes. :cool: Luckily, there was summer sale on backcountry.com (30-40%) as Arcteryx isn't as popular among mainstream snowboarders/skiiers.

I have a Burton AK Cyclic jacket with Goretex and it is good, but again pricey (I grabbed mine 40% off). I haven't like the pants Burton has been making as they tend to rip at the butt seam (pretty common if you are failing on your butt a lot like me :D).

I am currently using a pair of Stoic pants that are solid after two years of "abuse". They are not quite as waterproof as Goretex, but have handle plenty of wet snow storms. However, Stoic's fit is very slim athletic (I'm 5'9" 150lbs with a 30" waist) - so it might not be for everything. I also have a Stoic puffy jacket that I absolutely LOVE. It not down or waterproof, but it so comfy and reasonably warm that I wear this thing virtually every day of the year. My friend has the Stoic Bombshell jacket and really likes it.

Columbia and Marmot are good too, if they are on sale.

#13 ·
I think you should start with what your budget is. Go from there. I mainly do resort riding and don't care for the typical name brands. I am not out there to look good while riding I am there to get good at riding. So what ever fits and keeps me dry and warm will work. But that said I checked out brands like 686 and Burton and that stuff seems really nice!

#21 · (Edited)
Wow...leave this thread for two days and look what happens...

Thanks for the replies. In terms of what I'm looking for, I'd say a shell or lightly insulated shell, probably in the range of $150-250. I ride mostly northeast and have always been a layer-er, partly because I hate getting too hot in a jacket and partly because all the puffys are really expensive.

I'll check Burton AK and Arc-Teryx...

EDI: Ok maybe not Arcteryx...I can dream though...

#23 ·
686 has by far the best jackets. They're all made for any type of snowboarding and have a crap load of features at a big range of prices.
Whatever you do, make sure your jacket brand's waist gaiters (powder skirts) are compatible with your snowboarding pants. 686, Burton, Foursquare, Ride and most others use the standard 3-loop connection (2 loops on the sides of the waist and 1 in the center of the back, on the pants.)
There are some though, such as Volcom, which use zipper connections to the pants. I'm not sure about Ripzone and Dakine, because I can't see any loops on their pants besides the belt loops. So make sure you get that right!

#31 ·
I've ridden in probably a dozen different brands of jacket and so far my favourite is the Nike Juniper Gore-Tex. Ridiculously good coat for the price. Fits big though. I'm 6'1 205 and the large still fits kinda baggy. The XL fits like most companies 3XL. I wore the XL when I was around 250 and it fit like a tent. But considering they go for like 120-250 on eBay that isn't bad at all for the amount of features and the quality of the coat compared to most companies Gore-Tex or equivalent stuff.

#39 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.