Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

First board help?

2K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  tony477g 
#1 ·
Ive gone once snowboarding and i was ok for my first time, I want to keep on going so i believe it is time to buy a board. Im 5'5'' and weigh 125 lbs closer to 130 lbs. http://www.the-house.com/userarea/MemberDiscount/SpecialItemPage.aspx?itemname=$99%20Snowboards I saw they have good deals here, so could you guys help me out with a board? Brian Head | Welcome to Brian Head Resort, Southern Utah's BEST place to play that is where i'll be snowboarding

#6 ·
Well I mean I dont really care for the design on the board,brand or anything like that. Im more interested in if the board is a good board. http://www.the-house.com/userarea/MemberDiscount/SpecialItemPage.aspx?itemname=$99%20Snowboards What should i look for in the board, what I really want is a board made to carve around the mountain, It was probably just me but i rented a board and for the life of me i could not turn left (goofy stance)

#7 · (Edited)
Brand is important when it comes to boards. Cost is a big issue too. I see you are looking at only the cheapest of boards, and what you pay for is generally what you get.

If you only want one of the discount boards from that particular site, I suggest you look at only the following brands from that list:

Arbor
Burton
Capita
Forum
K2
Nitro
Ride
Rome
Salomon

If you look elsewhere, there are other reputable brands to look for (NeverSummer, DC, Lib Tech, GNU, Bataleon etc)

Brands have reputations for a reason, we stick to them because they have the best boards, when it comes down to function and build quality. It's worth paying more if the board is going to be superior and last longer.

If you only have $100 to spend on a board, I suggest you wait. Because a cheap board isn't going to handle all the falls that you can expect as a beginner, or perform well in a variety of conditions.

Also..

what I really want is a board made to carve around the mountain, It was probably just me but i rented a board and for the life of me i could not turn left (goofy stance)
You aren't going to be carving as a new snowboarder, carving is an advanced technique, but I guess you just mean riding around groomers.

#8 ·
Brand is important when it comes to boards. Cost is a big issue too. I see you are looking at only the cheapest of boards, and what you pay for is generally what you get.

If you only want one of the discount boards from that particular site, I suggest you look at only the following brands from that list:

Arbor
Burton
Capita
Forum
K2
Nitro
Ride
Rome
Salomon

If you look elsewhere, there are other reputable brands to look for (NeverSummer, DC, Lib Tech, GNU, Bataleon etc)

Brands have reputations for a reason, we stick to them because they have the best boards, when it comes down to function and build quality. It's worth paying more if the board is going to be superior and last longer.

If you only have $100 to spend on a board, I suggest you wait. Because a cheap board isn't going to handle all the falls that you can expect as a beginner, or perform well in a variety of conditions.

Also..

You aren't going to be carving as a new snowboarder, carving is an advanced technique, but I guess you just mean riding around groomers.
Ya i dont really know the words in snowboarding, carving sounded like a good one to use haha. So how much would you say would be enough money for a good price? What about retail price, I see some of those boards were up into the 500 dollar price range before. I get what you're saying and in the long run it would probably be better to get a good board to start with than get a sucky board and want a new one later on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.