Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Perks of a true twin?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafta View Post
I got a true twin because I aspire to be able to ride switch. I find it much easier to wrap my head around going the 'wrong' way if things are symmetrical.
I've done a lot of switch riding on a very directional board. If I were really looking to improve my switch riding for a day I'd probably swap the bindings over and ride with my back foot at the front.

I don't think Lonerider was saying directional was better than true twin, he was just offering the contrast to what dynaweb was saying:

Yes, dynaweb was right that a true twin will be much easier to ride switch in the powder. The tradeoff is that it's much harder to ride regular in the powder. Take a look at home many powder boards are true twins!

I hate to put board styles into boxes, but here's a quick breakdown for the OP (BTW, you already bought your board so kinda late to get this info now! Enjoy the board and enjoy the sport don't worry about the details).

A directional board (all else being equal):
- carves better, easier
- floats better in powder
- can have more pop out of turns and off kickers
- can possibly blast through crud better

A true twin board is worse than the above while riding normally, and better than the above while riding fakie. I would buy a true twin board if I was going to spend 50%+ of my time in the park, ride very little powder, or if I was just a cruiser who spent a significant amount of time on sidehits and riding fakie.

I'm willing to bet that the average snowboarder only spends 10% of their time riding fakie (and that includes the park rats in the total average) so I imagine true twin boards have a significantly smaller market.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote