Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Perks of a true twin?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex B View Post
Out of interest, what is the advantage of a directional twin?
It's essentially another compromise. It'll carve better than a true twin (though not as good as a true directional), and ride fakie better than a true directional (though not as good as a true twin).

Clear as mud?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey View Post
If I could only own one board.. it would be something slightly directional. Completely symetrical setups are not going to make you a better switch rider, a directional 1-board-quiver is going to serve you a lot better.

To the OP, don't be discouraged by your purchase and the advice... if you get into some nice snow, just set your bindings back an insert and you will do just fine! If you love snowboarding and ride a ton.. you will probably find yourself owning a shorter twin and a longer directional later in life.

For what it is worth.. I have owned some of the so-called "quiver-killer" boards and nothing beats actually owning a good 2+ board quiver IF you ride dynamic conditions.
+1 although a true park rat would probably only need a 1 board quiver and that would be a true twin. Methinks the average rider is best served by a mid-flex, directional, all mountain board.

Also, I find most people only ride their first board for a short period of time. Best to buy something in the middle of most specs and then once you determine where you want to take your riding, get something more specialized.

I'm a big proponent of a quiver-killer but that's because my RUNS let alone my DAYS can include copious amounts of powder, followed by some high speed groomer bombing, to a kicker, then into the glades, finally back out onto a groomer/cat track for some carving and side hits. The elevation changes here can mean that the top of the mountain has 1 foot of light powder, with the middle section in ice/hardpack, and the bottom is slush. That was last May at Lake Louise and it had me guessing a few times in one run!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote