Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Perks of a true twin?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #20 (permalink)
dreampow
Veteran Member

For most riders out there its just splitting hairs IMO. Probably doesn't make much odds until you get to upper intermediate.

Yes, a directional twinish deck with a slight setback is probably the 1 board quiver I would recommend.

Having said that twin decks can do everything very well, so just enjoy your new board OP.

I spent most of last season on a 161 Volkl zenit. It has setback (which I set all the way back for pow days) a touch of taper and is stiffer in the tail. Posi camber.

Then I bought a 157 proto CT specifically for all mountain freestyle and because I like riding switch (at least 30%) and want to ride more. I ride a lot of switch in pow and the twin profile makes it much easier. As long as its not too deep a C2BTX type profile gives plenty of float going either way.

I just like the idea of using my body and muscle groups in a balanced way left and right.

I was actually very pleasantly surprised with how well I could carve on the proto, takes a little more fore aft movement, but with effort it carves really well (not as well as the Volkl but pretty damn good).

I still have the volkl and no doubt I will be riding it a fair bit this season (when I want to bomb flat out).
I'll be on the proto most days though and I guarantee I'll be flying past people on their freeride sticks on the steeps and powder sticks in the pow because I know how to ride it.

If people like twins let them ride them, its slightly disadvantageous for carving and powder but its minimal and the limiting factor here is almost always rider ability not board.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote