Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Perks of a true twin?
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
herzogone
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
He's one of the best in the business and performing freestyle moves in that event?

I think it still stands true for the average rider a directional shape and flex board will be better in the powder while going forward. Actually this is true for Rice and the rest of the gang, but he's got the ability to overcome the limitations of the board.

People have been telling me for years I should be on a rocker board in the powder. My mad skillz allow me to rock the camber however I want on whatever I want! Ha!
I agree, I think the big reason they rode twins in Super Natural is that twins are better for riding switch in powder, which many of them did for substantial sections. And of course spins are a bit easier too.

I also agree with your main point, that the average rider probably doesn't care much about riding switch on powder days. I think it's pretty well accepted that directional boards make powder riding easier in your preferred stance (swallowtail powder boards must exist for a reason). Slightly directional twins are a compromise, making things slightly easier in the preferred stance, at a slight expense when riding switch. Riding a twin in powder means keeping most of your weight over your rear leg, which gets tiring, but riding switch allows the other leg to take a turn.

I guess I should qualify this by saying I'm probably less experienced than many here, and the current limit of my spinning ability is 180s, but I have at least ridden powder on both a directional-twin and a true-twin. I like my current board, a true-twin, because I like to ride switch a lot, even on powder days.
herzogone is online now   Reply With Quote