Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - 5 Free Boards - White Friday Super Stoker!
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #31 (permalink)
johnnymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
My good friend is an aspiring chef who has been busting his a$$ working crazy hours at two jobs for several years now. He takes on (often double) shifts working as a lowly line cook, albeit at a restaurant owned by one of our local celebrity chefs. Then he works several nights a week as a bartender. Anybody who knows the industry will realize that he makes pennies at the restaurant, so he puts in something like 60hrs a week of grueling work on his feet all day/night. Luckily he did just finish culinary school last Summer which means at least he doesn't have all those hours of class and studying stacked on top of work. I'm hoping he makes it big some day, but it's a tough industry and it takes many many years of sh!t pay and no status to make it. He's super talented, but it will be at least a couple more years until he can reach sous chef status, and then who knows how many more to move above that.

So do you want the good news or the bad news first? The good news is that he went up to the hill a few times with borrowed/rented gear and loves it. Better news is that he has an old 4x4 'Yota truck that can get him to the mountain. Bad news is that obviously he's broke and can't exactly afford to go buy a new setup. Worse news is that his gf of a years or so has been snowboarding for awhile, has all her own gear, and is way better than him.

He's a great guy, and definitely deserving of some goodwill. Would be amazing if he got some free gear so he can get up to the mountain more often and surpass his woman!!
I am throwing in my vote for this guy if though my vote doesn't count for anything. I have worked as a line chef and the 60 hours a week for almost no pay is not exaggerated in the least. Being on the line is one of the hardest jobs out there. It is moving non-stop as fast as you can for hours at a time. I hope this guy is rewarded for sticking with his dream.