Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Board decision- leaning Gnu
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
hktrdr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg21 View Post
Hey Guys,

This is my first post. I have been impressed by some of the board reviews, and responses, on this site so I thought I would just ask peoples opinions on which board I should by for the new season.

By way of background, I am 5'11 and 150 pnds and do not need a wide board. I like to get off piste as much as possible whether backcountry or sidecountry, a typical powderhound. I usually access the pow via resorts so this also involves a lot of piste bashing. Currently, I have beaten to death a Unity Pride, which I love, but I am looking for a board that is more stable on hard pack as I was frequently annoyed after a good day up top having such a sketchy time lower down.

Originally, I thought I wanted a more all round board. I had dreams of a true twin to ride switch on and be a little more playful and was thinking the TRS/ Riders choice.

However, I usually ride in St Anton/ Laax/ Davos with a trip to Revy/ Whistler/ Kicking Horse (back home) once a year and have accepted that I need a more directional board. I would like opinions on deciding between the Gnu Billy Goat, The Impossible, or the Jamie Lynn (or anything else- Jones for example). I am leaning Billy Goat as it looks a good combo of pow, speed and responsiveness and if I get that I was hoping for some insight on how I can source one in Zurich and if the 156 is long enough for me (my pride 159 seems long to me).

Many thanks; can't wait to hear your insights.
Riders Choice/TRS might be your best choice, even if they are true twins. Playful, versatile, good on ice/hardpack, pretty good float in powder (although not directional).
Major difference is the Pickle tech on the Riders Choice (different sidecuts on toe and heel side).

Billy Goat, Jamie Lynn are not what anybody would call playful boards.
Impossible is a twin, i.e., note directional. Slightly more playful than Goat/Jamie Lynn, but still quite an aggressive/charger board.

Last edited by hktrdr; 04-06-2013 at 07:12 AM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote