Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Official Michigan Winter Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #2235 (permalink)
MikeIn248

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post
I was wondering what the "usual" opening's were for the local hills here in SE MI? I'm talking about Pine Knob, Mt. Holly, Alpine etc. (...I know it's wildly variable & weather dependent, just looking for the usual "average" dates.)
Right now (or maybe next weekend).

I almost always go out of town for Thanksgiving, and I make sure to come home on Saturday in case Mt. Holly is open on Sunday. This year I still came home last night but I didn’t even put my roof racks or snow tires on ahead of the trip, knowing local places wouldn’t be open. (Don’t want to take a hit on gas mileage for Thanksgiving travel if there’s no riding on Sunday when I get back.)

Unlike the advice a few posts up, I do keep track of my snowboarding expenses. I do it for budget and planning purposes. I’ve never added it up, though. (I see some trips with missing gas expenses. And I haven’t kept track of equipment.)

So anyhow, looking things up, here are the earliest dates I've ridden locally the past few seasons. Keep in mind that these are my earliest dates. (If something was open before my first day out, I don’t have that info. I just keep track of when I go out.)

Keep in mind too that Mt. Holly will open with just a fraction of the hill (Woodward, Canyon, beginners' tow, and small park on Snowstream).

2011 -- December 10, Mt. Holly
2010 -- November 28, Mt. Holly
2008 -- November 23, Mt. Holly
2007 -- November 25, Mt. Holly
2006 -- December 5, Mt. Holly
2005 -- December 1, Alpine Valley

Also keep in mind that Thanksgiving was “early” this year because November 1st fell on a Thursday. So like I said up top, right now or maybe next weekend is typical, at least over the the past handful of years.

Last edited by MikeIn248; 11-25-2012 at 10:04 AM.
MikeIn248 is offline   Reply With Quote