Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Board decision- leaning Gnu
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
wrathfuldeity
Resident poet

I just posted the following in another thread. First day impressions of a 159 billy goat split.

Today I took the goat with sparks out for a first ride...hard packed...practically ice groomer day; no splitting just lapping the groomed to see how it rode and get it dialed. Mother of god....it just wants to go down the fall line...its like the nose wants to drop the fall line, takes off and its not happy unless its in the fall line. Its nimble enough and quick edge to edge. Its FLOWS....I've never ridden a board that just wants to flow...no twitchy...no grabby...rock solid and confident; little in perfections...whats that...literally did some unseen 1 foot divits/drops....was nothing, banking terrain, hitting little airs. A few times I would have washed out, it kept an edge.

Now for the scary part....the thing wants to take off and doesn't want to stop and I haven't figured out how to confidently shut it down....its likes to frickin haul ass....it seemed not to like hockey stops and wants to keep going...nose in the fall line thing. The only way I could shut down was by doing quick hard shallow tail slides back and forth...and not 1 or 2....more like 3 or 4+ tail slides.

I expected some give due to being a split but it felt like a solid board and perhaps even more so with the Sparks (blaze base plate with burner highback and straps). The sparks were dreamy, stiff, responsive, solid and comfortable...they felt more solid and confident than my old drake f60's and limiteds. A great combo...very responsive and efficient flying down the hill.

Fwiw & imho the 159 split is a very fine groomer/resort board (and if only riding in-bounds a 156 would have been plenty), it seemed to ride big (fast and stable) and ride small (nimble and quick edge to edge). I was thinking this board would be a more technical billy goat hopping around board for steeps and chutes.....NOOOOOO.....this thing wants to run full fucking speed down the frickin technical parts of the hill....shit I got some work and learning to do...and damm I need to find some bigger balls.

So the last 4 runs of the day, was with my daughter and her skier crew....young healthy 15-23 years olds....I kept up with them, passed them and got to the chair first....I haven't been able to do that in 2 years and the little whipper snappers noticed.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 11-25-2012 at 09:12 PM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote