Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Best affordable 'twin rocker' board?

6K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Thom 
#1 ·
Affordable = not Never Summer or Libtech. I came to the conclusing that the boards I was lusting for are out of my league, probably both in terms of skill level as in terms of $$$.

Here's what I came up with so far, all boards that are available in a local-ish webshop:

Drake DF2: Haven't found too many reviews or tests yet.
Nitro Subzero Hotwing: Came across a couple really negative reviews of Nitro's 'gulwing' profile.
Forum Youngblood Doubledog: Seems to be more park oriented, not sure if's perfect for hardpack/pow.
Smokin Superpark CTX: Dito. Maybe dispite the name it'll hold it's own all across the mountain?
Forum Destroyer Doubledog: Don't see much difference with the youngblood:dunno:
Apo MTD: It's supposed to be an allmountain freestyle board, but it only gets a 5 and a 6 on Apo's own carving and powder scale.

Experiences and opinionins would be very much appreciated, as well as other suggestions.

I'm mainly after an all mountain freestyle board, not just a park/jib stick. Preferably a true twin, but that's not a must. Light weight, flexible, but still something I can depend on in pow and mainly hardpack and icy groomers, where I'll spend most of my time. Basicaly something like the NS SL or Libtech TRS, only a lot less pricey:)

Thanks a lot, and srry about the semi cross post:)

See less See more
#4 ·
Gnu Carbon Credit. Hard to find better bang for your buck if you're looking for rockered all-mountain twin. Just playful enough to be serviceable in the park but not so loose that it doesn't hold a good edge for all-mountain, carving, etc. There might be a few 2012's floating around on the internet still, last I saw they were going for like $240. Brand new 2013 is $399.

#9 · (Edited)
Adding the Gnu carbon credit to the list, thanks. Cheapest of the bunch, especially out of the ones with some sort of fancy technology:)

Found a webshop that has a 153 carbon credit for 252Euro, which to european standards -trust me- is a steal. I wasn't too sure at first when I read about the 'nearly flat camber' area on the outsides, but since the next best thing would easily cost me 150 more, I can't afford NOT to take this deal in serious consideration. I think it's supposed to be an entry level board though, right? Nothing wrong with that, but in all honesty, I don't consider myself a novice, and I plan on hanging on to this board for as long as possible...So it might make more sense not to be a cheapskate and to spend a little more on something that's supposed to be an advanced/expert board. What is it exactly that makes the carbon credit a beginners deck though? A lot of noob questions, I know. It's the first time I have to worry about this, I'm totally clueless when it comes to equipment.

Anyone know where I can find a drawing/pic/whatever that shows exactly what the profile of the Carbon copy looks like? Like which lib tech board has the same shape? Thanks.

#10 ·
Anyone know where I can find a drawing/pic/whatever that shows exactly what the profile of the Carbon copy looks like? Like which lib tech board has the same shape? Thanks.
Ask and you shall receive! Skate Banana and Box Scratcher use this shape.

You can see in the drawing that it's definitely not a flat rocker. There's the rocker in the center and then from the inserts out it starts out 'flat' in the sense that there is no curvature to this portion of the board although it continues upwards towards the contact points where it blends the very mild camber curvature.

Attachments

#11 ·
^Thanks A LOT:)

That kinda changes things. That's pretty far from the 'double rocker' profile I was after, there's hardly any real camber at all. Not particularly 'all mountain' or groomer/ice friendly, I'd imagine it's more to the loose/skaty side, right?

So it's back to the Smokin superpark and Forum destroyer doubledog...

#16 ·
Am I missing something with the Carbon Credit that everyone keeps saying it has a ton of tech for the price? Its center rocker with Magne... What else?

Flow Era is cheaper, more versatile rocker/camber, a very grippy 5 radial sidecut, rolled base between the feet, sintered base, and carbon in the tips.

A little more like the SL is the Drifter from Flow. $420 full retail for 2013 and has all the same tech hits as the Era but with a stiifer core profile and is directional twin.

#18 · (Edited)
Checked out the era, it's indeed as affordable as it gets.

Not so sure after seeing this though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeLMw5DsiCk

Srry, it wouldn't inbed for some odd reason.

Pretty stiff, very heavy. But than again, other reviews describe both the era and the drifter as not stiff at all:dunno:
Either way, two great contenders at a VERY good price imo.

So would you guys say a Forum Destroyer of even a Smokin Superpark isn't worth the extra bones?

#17 ·
Nivek no you're probably not missing anything. I don't think it has a ton of tech and in fact it's basically they're bargain offering, but it's got enough to get the job done and the pricepoint makes it a good value for beginner/intermediate riders.

I'm gonna have to get on some Flows this season I see you keep recommending these two (Drifter, Era) and I think you (maybe someone else though) said in another thread that it's the most solid lineup in the industry.

#27 · (Edited)
Hey Thom!

Send Wiredsport a PM and have him tell you about the Camp Seven Valdez. I did a review of this deck and I think it may be right up your alley. Rocker/camber hybrid, all mountain freestyle directional twin and the only $200 board with a full 3 year warranty!

I rode this board for several days and it handled very much like my Neversummer Heritage. If that board is not exactly what you need, he will find you the best possible match within your budget and there is no tax ever and free shipping I do believe. The guy is I god when it comes to matching folks up with the best gear in their budget!

EDIT:

Ah! Here it is:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equipment-reviews/45453-review-2012-camp-seven-valdez.html

Like I said, a $200 board that performs like a $500 one and has a 3 year warranty!!
Never heard of camp 7. The graphics for one, are a nice change to the gaudy and flashy designs I see on the vast majority of freestyle boards. I'm probably just getting old and boring, but I'm personally more into tasty 'low profile' aesthetics.

Most importantly though, the specs and review totally fit the bill, thanks a lot for the suggestion. I'm afraid the availibily in Europe might be a problem though...Right? Something I probably should've mensioned earlier: I'm in W-EU:s

So far, the smokin superpark is in the lead, dispite the hideous graphics and the fact that I might not be stiff and stable enough to be a perfect freeride/allmountain board. It's the cheapest allmountain-esque jib stick with magnetraction I could find, not counting the cheaper and less durable entry level boards in that category...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.