Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Flow Binding 2013 Q & A
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #240 (permalink)
BigBoard

Default Flow hybrid bindings appear to be incompatible with large sized boots.

I recently purchased a pair of Flows new flagship bindings the NX2-GT in size XL, which is advertised to accommodate a boot size of up to size 15. I was hoping these would work with a pair of Size 15 2005 DC Judge boots.

It should be noted that the photos below were taken before I followed flows video instructions for setting the highback about half an inch further back and extended the bed further about half an inch wider, which were the maximum adjustments I could make. However, even with the above modifications made, the toe strap was still about an inch short of being able to lock in to the ratchet.

As you can see the toe cap inside strap was extended out to its maximum setting:

This is how the binding looks with the boot mounted all the inside straps extended out to their maximums, with the highback up (Please note that the outside toe strap are not ratcheted in):

From the image below it is apparent that there is about an inch between the ratchet and the toe cap strap. An inch and a half would be required for the ratchet to anchor on to the strap and at least an additional half inch would be required allow for some amount of packed snow in the binding:

Finally here is a shot of the binding with the toe strap anchored in to the ratchet at its loosest setting with the highback down:

You can see that the heel of the boot extends on top of the highback itself with no possibility of closing.

As noted above I did make adjustments to the binding after taking these pictures and while they did a fair bit to help center the boot on top of the bed. They only provided a marginal amount of additional slack towards anchoring the toe cap strap.

I am open to the notion that snowboarding boots have become more compact in the past few years. That said, it seems unlikely that even a newer size 14 boot would get the slack required to allow for any packed snow in the binding. I'd be interested to hear the experience from other large footed boarders and vendors with these bindings. I suspect the issue spans all XL sized Flow bindings which utilize hybrid straps.
BigBoard is offline   Reply With Quote