Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Board width?

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  SnowDragon 
#1 ·
I own a LT Banana Magic 161 and a LT TRice 161.5 (for different types of riding).

I've been advised that the TRice is too wide for my boot size (9) and should look for a regular sized board to replace that one.

From the LT website, the waist width on the two boards is 25.5 and 26 respectively.

So I want opinions on whether the TRice is too wide for me. Does that extra 1/2 cm make the TRice that much more unmanageable versus the Banana Magic?
Seems a bit extreme of an assumption, but I would like some opinions.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Waist width does not matter. What matters is width at the inserts/binding positions, as this determines whether you are are able to pressure/work the edge effectively.
Both the T. Rice and the Magic are quite wide boards, at least what would be considered mid-wide. The Magic has such a deep sidecut that it is actually wider in the nose and tail than the T. Rice, so around the inserts they are probably fairly similar in width.

And yes, I would consider both of those boards too wide for a size 9 foot. How much do you weigh?

#5 ·
I got the Banana Magic for all-mountain freestyle - jumps, spins, half pipe, switch, and still able to carve. No jibbing. I know it's on the agressive side of that type of riding but I absolutely love the ride! Incredibly fun, versatile board.

Riding is east coast hard pack/ice. Primarily groomers, and laps in the park through the pipe and kickers. Definitely love magne-traction as a result.

I got the TRice after riding at Whistler last season. While the Magic was quite capable, I wanted something with more stability for charging, but that I could still ride switch.
I got the longer length in both boards for the rare occasions when I could find powder on a trip out west.

Again, to summarize:
5'11"
175 lbs.
Size 9 boots

Thoughts? Keep what I've got? Alternatives?
And thanks.

BTW, my boot size went down from a 10 to a 9 last season, FWIW. I don't know how my body changed to do that, but it did.:dunno: (Had to get new boots!)

#8 ·
I wear size 9 snowboard boots and am around 170 lbs. Have over 200 days on my TRice 157 which has a 25.8 waist and no problems what so ever with anything. Started riding a 156 Niche (basically the same board as the Trice except lighter and snappier) this year and that's a 25.8 waist also. Still nothing but fun.

That said, I would not go wider than that, 25.8, which is considered a mid-wide for a 156,157 board.

#9 ·
@hktrdr
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I actually demoed the Dark Series at Whistler last year (same week I demoed the TRice). Definitely liked it, but went with TRice because it is a true twin and I ride switch alot, while the Dark Series is directional (not even a directional twin according to LT). Same reasoning for shying from the Billy Goat, which is at least a directional twin.

@mjd
Very helpful input. Thanks.

For both of you (and anyone else): one thing I have been wondering is if I bought these boards too long. Moving both down to 157 narrows the waist on the TRice to 25.8 from 26, and narrows the tip/tail on the Banana Magic to 30.1 from 30.6 (waist width only drops 0.1cm).
Seems like only a small improvement for alot of expense if I was to size down though.

So, any thoughts on dropping down to 157 for both boards?

#11 ·
You are correct on the directional nature of the Dark Series. However, neither that nor the setback on the Goat makes much difference for riding switch. People generally overstate the need for a twin to ride switch - my Cobra is clearly a directional board and rides switch perfectly fine.

On the sizing, I was a little hesitant to comment on this initially, because it is another matter of personal preference (and the Magic seemed to be working for you).
But since you asked: Yes, I think you probably should have gone one size shorter. I am 150-155lb and was toying with getting the 154 Magic.

#10 ·
My 157 handles deep pow very easily. So for me it's the perfect bomb any terrain in any condition and pow board in one. Which is why I got it. 157 is the sweet spot for me for that type of riding anything bigger is a no go.

#12 ·
Yes, I think my shrinking foot size and switching from regular camber to hybrid rocker left me not considering some size changes required in the boards.

Well, I'll see if I can find either of these boards in a 157 from last year in a sell-off, or else just stick with what I've got and get used to them. These things aren't cheap!

Thanks for the help guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.